Desperate- need advise

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blood ba

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I finished my residency and a year of fellowship in Blood bank. I couldn't pass the board with in the eligibility period due to some personal reasons. Now, The ABP asked me to do a year of residency or a fellowship to re take the exam. I am trying my best to get some where with no luck so for. Eeven I participated for Matching this year through NRMP/ ERAS with no help. Is any one in my situation? or heard some thing like this?. If so, could some one guide me how to proceed further. I am very confused and desperate. Please shed some light. Greatly appreciate your help.

Members don't see this ad.

I finished my residency and a year of fellowship in Blood bank. I couldn't pass the board with in the eligibility period due to some personal reasons. Now, The ABP asked me to do a year of residency or a fellowship to re take the exam. I am trying my best to get some where with no luck so for. Eeven I participated for Matching this year through NRMP/ ERAS with no help. Is any one in my situation? or heard some thing like this?. If so, could some one guide me how to proceed further. I am very confused and desperate. Please shed some light. Greatly appreciate your help.

There are some ACGME accredited fellowships available. If I were you I would email these programs. Can you do another year of transfusion med? There are many which are still open for July. I dont see why a program would want someone who finished fellowship for their residency program? You should target fellowship programs.

Do something that interests you. Programs rather not take a fellow who wants the position because they are in limbo. They'd rather take someone who has at least some interest in the field.

Last edited:
Agree with suggestion to try and do another year of blood bank fellowship. You could try and sell yourself to a program as someone who knows the ropes and would be a cheap semi-attending.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you so much every one who responded me. I would like to do a year of TM but The CME does't allow me do since already I am done it. Even I contacted many, many program directors and chair persons stating that i don't need any pay, come with my own malpractice insurance, all i need a letter stating that I did a residency or fellowship ( I brought my self from Fellowship to residency. Even, I am ready to work for free until I pass the boards.