fourxxxx

2+ Year Member
Jun 13, 2016
I’m 24 years old, finished my bachelor’s degree of business last year. It is a long story that made me change direction to be a dentist. The only science course I took during bachelor’s degree was Physics w/lab (4 semester credits) I know I’m far behind on science courses, but I am VERY determined and am ready to take whatever it needs to get myself into dental school. I have researched a lot in terms of the process (all the general info like DAT, volunteer/shadowing experience, etc.)
Now my concern is how should I plan out my prerequisite courses schedules in a timely manner and also be as quick as possible to move onto next step.

If there is anyone like me a nontraditional student with a success experience, PLEASE help me out.

sarriball

SDN Bronze Donor
Bronze Donor
2+ Year Member
Oct 16, 2014
Status
Dental Student
Bio I and II, Gen Chem I and II, Orgo I and II.
Bio I/GC I, then Bio II/GC II, then Orgo I (add recommended science course(s) here) then Orgo II (add recommended science course(s) here).
It'll take you two years. Try to get all A's and crush the DAT. Make sure you hit 100+ hours of shadowing. Look into research if possible, but at least make sure you volunteer some.

I don't know where you plan on taking these courses, but check if the school has a pre-health office. They will be able to help you out on a more individual level.

DrLTD

2+ Year Member
Jan 25, 2016
Status
Dental Student
Bio I and II, Gen Chem I and II, Orgo I and II.
Bio I/GC I, then Bio II/GC II, then Orgo I (add recommended science course(s) here) then Orgo II (add recommended science course(s) here).
It'll take you two years. Try to get all A's and crush the DAT. Make sure you hit 100+ hours of shadowing. Look into research if possible, but at least make sure you volunteer some.

I don't know where you plan on taking these courses, but check if the school has a pre-health office. They will be able to help you out on a more individual level.
Follow this and you'll be golden. I am a non-traditional student who had to start from the very beginning. I finished my pre-reqs in two years, took the DAT, and applied this term. Best of luck to you! Let me know if you have any questions!

Reactions: LuckBloodandSweat

Tofu lover

2+ Year Member
Jul 15, 2016
Status
Pre-Dental
It took me two years as well!(started summer 2014) I took bio 1/gc 1 summer, bio 2/gc 2 fall, Orgo 1/ physics 1 spring. Then Orgo 2 summer, Biochem/Physiology fall, physics 2 spring (ran out of money ) 2016. Right after physics ended, which was May, I started studying on and off for the DAT but really buckled down and studied by June. Took the DAT July 2nd and was happy with my score so I submitted my app July 7th. I did research for my physiology class, volunteered, and shadowed throughout the two years. Feel free to message me if you have questions!

kozmo1994

2+ Year Member
Aug 4, 2016
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
I would highly suggest taking:
{Biology 1, General chemistry 1, Physics 2, anatomy & physiology 1 ( or anatomy separately ) } -------->16 credits fall
{ General chemistry 2, Bio 2, Anatomy & Physiology 2 ( or physiology separately ), calculus 1 } ___>16 crdits spring
{ Organic chemistry 1, introduction to Psychology}----------> 7 credits summer
{ Organic chemistry 2, Biochemistry, Microbiology with lab}-----------> 11 credits fall
you also need English composition (1 and 2), statistics ( assuming you have them done since you have a degree in business). 4 semesters are enough to complete all the prerequisites but it can take longer if you want an easier route (without summer).
upon completing all those courses and with a decent DAT score you can apply for any dental schools across the country. Take these courses, keep your grades high, and go for it
good luck

Last edited:

Polkadotfan

5+ Year Member
Jul 9, 2014
Status
Pre-Dental
You also might want to look at your nearest University. Some offer Summer 1 & 2 classes so you can finish say...GC 1&2 or OC 1&2 (or A&P) in a summer to give more time for other things.

Reactions: DrLTD