Destroyer 2010- Bio # 275

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aliss4

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
A certain autosomal recessive condition is seen in approximately 1 in every 50 people, but is symptom-free. If a male and female possibly carry the gene, what is the probability that they have a diseased child?

answer: ( 1/50)(1/50)(1/4)= .01%

I thought what question says is the probability of being homozygous recessive is 1/50. Therefore the probability of q is square root of 1/50.

I am confused about is it saying the probability of that allele is 1/50 or the homozygous genotype is 1/50 :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

A certain autosomal recessive condition is seen in approximately 1 in every 50 people, but is symptom-free. If a male and female possibly carry the gene, what is the probability that they have a diseased child?

answer: ( 1/50)(1/50)(1/4)= .01%

I thought what question says is the probability of being homozygous recessive is 1/50. Therefore the probability of q is square root of 1/50.

I am confused about is it saying the probability of that allele is 1/50 or the homozygous genotype is 1/50 :confused:

Yeah don't worry about this one, it's been asked before. I doubt the actual DAT will be this confusing/ambiguous. Many other people thought the same thing you did (like me), so you're not alone in your confusion.