1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Destroyer 2010- Bio # 275

Discussion in 'DAT Discussions' started by aliss4, Jul 21, 2011.

1. aliss4

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    A certain autosomal recessive condition is seen in approximately 1 in every 50 people, but is symptom-free. If a male and female possibly carry the gene, what is the probability that they have a diseased child?

answer: ( 1/50)(1/50)(1/4)= .01%

I thought what question says is the probability of being homozygous recessive is 1/50. Therefore the probability of q is square root of 1/50.

I am confused about is it saying the probability of that allele is 1/50 or the homozygous genotype is 1/50 :confused:

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. FROGGBUSTER

2+ Year Member

Yeah don't worry about this one, it's been asked before. I doubt the actual DAT will be this confusing/ambiguous. Many other people thought the same thing you did (like me), so you're not alone in your confusion.