1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Destroyer Bio 160

Discussion in 'DAT Discussions' started by drtoothy, May 30, 2008.

1. drtoothy

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    160. The frequency for the allele for cystic fibrosis, an autosomal recessive trait, is 1 in 2500 among white Americans. What is the heterozygote frequency?
    A) 8%
    B) 4%
    C) 1%
    D) 10%
    E) 14%

The answer is B because he uses 1 in 2500 to represent q^2. But if the question says the frequency of the ALLELE (not genotype) is 1 in 2500, I would think that equals equal q. The answer I got using this, 12.5% is not one of the answer choices, but regardless, can someone clarify? Or is this a Destroyer mistake?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. doc3232

7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Can someone explain this?
    My bio is rusty....

4. Zerconia2921

Zerconia2921 Bring your A-game!
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    1 out of 2500, is the ratio of the frequency. So the frequency is 0.0004.
    This is equal to = p^2

p^2 = .0004 same as 4x10E-4
    p =2x10E-2 => same as.02

p+q = 1
    q = 1-.02
    q=.98

2(.98)(.02) =
    = 0.039 ~ 0.04 x 100% = 4%

5. userah

7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    if it helps to clarify at all, if it's discussing population statistics and it's recessive, the only way to get recessive in a population is by being homozygous recessive. That's how you know it's q^2 and not q. Based on that you can figure out all the other details. let me know if you have any more questions =)

6. drtoothy

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    So this question was bothering me and I looked it up in Campbell's Bio (7th ed - Pg. 456-466, if you're interested). Allele frequencies are different from genotype frequencies. The frequency of finding a particular allele in the gene pool is p or q. The frequency of finding a specific genotype can be predicted from that using p^2 + 2pq + q^2. I think it comes down to a matter of wording...correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that means it's a Destroyer error. His explanation and calculations would work only if he called it the frequency of the "genotype" of cystic fibrosis.

That make sense?