destroyer bio 254

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

arpitpatel86

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which is true?
a. surfactants reduces surface tension and allows the fetus to breath easiar
b. surfactns are substances present in the alveoli of lungs
c. without adequate quantities of surfactants, an infant would have difficulty breathing
d. a and c
e all is true

the answer is E but i thought the fetus cant breath on its own so should it just be C?

Members don't see this ad.

It should be b and c. You are correct. Infants don't use their lungs for respiration. I guess there isn't a lot of O2 in the amniotic fluid. Surfactant does reduce surface tension allowing alveoli to expand easier, thereby making respiration easier.

Yeah B & C are correct for sure. I'm not so sure about A though, even though you said the answer was E. After thinking about A, it kind of seems imperative that surfactant functions in that way, if B & C are correct.

Yeah B & C are correct for sure. I'm not so sure about A though, even though you said the answer was E. After thinking about A, it kind of seems imperative that surfactant functions in that way, if B & C are correct.

A is definitely not correct. The key word here is FETUS. Gas exchange in the fetus occurs at the placenta, not the lungs. If choice "A" said infant, "E" would be the correct answer, but since it says fetus, "A" is incorrect.

Members don't see this ad :)
It should be b and c. You are correct. Infants don't use their lungs for respiration. I guess there isn't a lot of O2 in the amniotic fluid. Surfactant does reduce surface tension allowing alveoli to expand easier, thereby making respiration easier.

LOL @ "I guess there isn't enough O2 in the amniotic fluid" hahah even if there was enough O2, humans do not breath in fluid so thats impossible, the fetus would drown. Its blood pressure to the brain that initiates the breathing mechanism which is why the baby is turned upside down and slapped on the buttocks to send a rush of blood to the brain. However if the book says the answer is (E) but (B) and (C) seem correct then either (A) is correct or it isnt. Might be a typo, maybe fetus should have been infant! My 2 cents :)

look surfactant up in wiki,

Its the substance that decreases the tension in the lungs of infants when they are born so that they can start breathing...so i think destroyer is right E is right all of the above

nvm your right it says fetus not infant haha my bad....fetus's cant breath right?