1. Dismiss Notice
  2. This forum is for support and discussion only. Please promote test prep materials/services (including AMAs) in the Special Offers subforum only. Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice

Destroyer BIO #31 - Mistake?

Discussion in 'DAT Discussions' started by STACM, Jun 21, 2008.

1. STACM

7+ Year Member

In Destroyer BIO #31 it says that there is "no isolation" for hardy-weinberg equilibrium...but I thought its the opposite and there needs to be isolation so theres no migration of alleles in or out?

2. HoangDDS

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    You can not have significant immigration of individuals from a population with allele frequencies very different from the endogenous population. However you can small migration in and out as long as it's not affecting the gene pool significantly. Other HWE laws to remember include:
    -the population have to be large and mating are random
    -allele frequencies remain constant
    -there is not appreciable rate of mutation
    -all individual have an equal chance of mating and passing on their genes (there is no selection against any particular genotype)

I think that's it. Please add or correct me if there is something I am missing.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. STACM

7+ Year Member

I understand that, but why did they state it as a rule...rather than an exception? It says there has to be no isolation in order for there to be genetic equilibrium, not that there should be isolation but small bits of immigration are ok

4. NuckingFutz

7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I thought the exact same thing when I looked at the answer for that question.

According to Cliff's AP BIO under genetic equilibrium:

1. All traits are selectively neutral (no natural selection)
    2. Mutations do not occur.
    3. The population must be isolated from other populations (no gene flow)
    4. The population is large (no genetic drift).
    5. Mating is random.

:confused::confused:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. War Eagle

5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    It's a mistake in destroyer. Check out cambell's.

6. 250rsavage

5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I believe what destroyer is saying is no isolation of the genes, that is my only guess. The population must be isolated from other populations, but the genes within the population themselves must not be isolated from each other.

The possible answer are
    No isolation (of genes): mating must be random
    No net migration: Isolation from other populations
    No natural selection
    No Mutation
    or all

So it would be all

7. War Eagle

5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    There is still a problem. No net migration implies that immigration and emmigration can both occur. As long as the population size remains the same there is no net migration.

8. HoangDDS

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I agree with War Eagle.

9. klutzy1987

klutzy1987 StudyingSucks Letsgo Mets
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    All of those choices are referring to genes. There is no net migration of a particular gene whatever gene goes out has to come back in at the same rate. When Destroyer says there is no isolation it means a geographic barrier between particular genes. Both of these are valid assumptions for the hardy weinberg. I dont believe there is a mistake in destroyer.