Destroyer GC 140

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dusk

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Destroyer GC 140 in 2011 version, 132 in 2010 version.

I have a minor/stupid question on this problem:

"Consider hydrozoic acid, HN3. The Ka at 25 C is 2x10^-5. Which of these statements will be true if HN3 was put into solution?"

So the answer says that [N3-]=[H+] at eqlbm based off of the balanced reaction HN3(aq) +H2O(l) --> H3O+(aq) + N3- (aq).

Okay, I understand that, but based off of other solubility problems like finding the Ksp of BiI3(s) --> Bi + 3I- , why is is that the balanced reaction isn't written as:

HN3 --> H+ + 3N ? And so it would be [H+]=3[N-] at eqlbm?

Is it just cause N3 is a compound and it can't be broken up into 3N? But BiI3 was broken into 3I, not I3..... :banana:

Members don't see this ad.

Destroyer GC 140 in 2011 version, 132 in 2010 version.

I have a minor/stupid question on this problem:

"Consider hydrozoic acid, HN3. The Ka at 25 C is 2x10^-5. Which of these statements will be true if HN3 was put into solution?"

So the answer says that [N3-]=[H+] at eqlbm based off of the balanced reaction HN3(aq) +H2O(l) --> H3O+(aq) + N3- (aq).

Okay, I understand that, but based off of other solubility problems like finding the Ksp of BiI3(s) --> Bi + 3I- , why is is that the balanced reaction isn't written as:

HN3 --> H+ + 3N ? And so it would be [H+]=3[N-] at eqlbm?

Is it just cause N3 is a compound and it can't be broken up into 3N? But BiI3 was broken into 3I, not I3..... :banana:

Right, hydrozoic acid dissociates to [H+] and [N3-]. If anything, the azide ion decomposes to molecular nitrogen, but that's not what the question is asking for.