1. SDN Mobile is now free on iTunes and on the Google Play Store. Enjoy!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. This Wednesday we're hosting our first-ever Instagram takeover with UF College of Dentistry student, Carson. Follow @studentdoctornetwork on Instagram to get a glimpse of life as a D1, ask questions and more!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. This forum is for support and discussion only. Please promote test prep materials/services (including AMAs) in the Special Offers subforum only. Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice

Destroyer GC 140

Discussion in 'DAT Discussions' started by Dusk, Aug 15, 2011.

1. Dusk

Dusk Member
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Destroyer GC 140 in 2011 version, 132 in 2010 version.

I have a minor/stupid question on this problem:

"Consider hydrozoic acid, HN3. The Ka at 25 C is 2x10^-5. Which of these statements will be true if HN3 was put into solution?"

So the answer says that [N3-]=[H+] at eqlbm based off of the balanced reaction HN3(aq) +H2O(l) --> H3O+(aq) + N3- (aq).

Okay, I understand that, but based off of other solubility problems like finding the Ksp of BiI3(s) --> Bi + 3I- , why is is that the balanced reaction isn't written as:

HN3 --> H+ + 3N ? And so it would be [H+]=3[N-] at eqlbm?

Is it just cause N3 is a compound and it can't be broken up into 3N? But BiI3 was broken into 3I, not I3..... :banana:

2. needzmoar

Right, hydrozoic acid dissociates to [H+] and [N3-]. If anything, the azide ion decomposes to molecular nitrogen, but that's not what the question is asking for.

3. OP
    OP
    Dusk

Dusk Member
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    awesome, thanks!