1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Destroyer GC #141

Discussion in 'DAT Discussions' started by supera, Jul 25, 2011.

1. supera

Pre-Dental
    Question is

An ionic solid gave a blue color. Which solid is most likely?

a.BaSO4
    b.AgCl
    c.CuSO4
    d.KI
    e.LiSO4

So, the answer is C and the explanation says Color is associated with transition metals. Choice C. But if that's the explanation why not for AgCl? Isn't Ag a transition metal too? Is this a simple memorization that I need to know? or is there are any theory back there that I am not noticing?
    Thank you!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Troyvdg

Troyvdg Dentistry not Debtistry
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I don't have destroyer with me, but does it say if its dissolved in water? AgCl isn't soluble

4. PooyaH

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    CuSO4 is soluble and it can break into Cu2+ and SO4--. Copper gives the solution a blue color, whereas SO4-- is colorless. AgCl is insoluble.

5. supera

Pre-Dental
    Oh I see, I wasn't thinking of the solubility rule. Thanks! BTW, is there are any other example that gives out color? because I remember another question from this destroyer set stating K2Cr2O7 is expected to be colored