• Set Yourself Up For Success Webinar

October 6, 2021 at 2 PM Eastern/11 AM Pacific
    SDN and Osmosis are teaming up to help you get set up for success this school year! We'll be covering study tips, healthy habits, and meeting mentors.

Register Now!

• Funniest Story on the Job Contest Starts Now!

Contest starts now and ends September 27th. Winner will receive a special user banner and $10 Amazon Gift card!

JOIN NOW
  • Site Updates Coming Next Week

Site updates are coming next week on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Click the button below to learn more!

LEARN MORE

Destroyer General Chem Q201

Meas

May 14, 2009
  1. Dental Student
HOw many ml of 0.120M KOH must be added to 60ml of 0.2M HF to produce a solution with a pH of 3.3? (pKa of HF is 3.3)

Ans: 5ml

- THe answer key shows that c1v1 = c2v2 eqn can be used.
- When I first approach this question, I quickly use the pH to find out how much [H+] is needed.

Please help! Thanks in advance!

nze82

May 15, 2009
CA
  1. Dental Student
HOw many ml of 0.120M KOH must be added to 60ml of 0.2M HF to produce a solution with a pH of 3.3? (pKa of HF is 3.3)

Ans: 5ml

- THe answer key shows that c1v1 = c2v2 eqn can be used.
- When I first approach this question, I quickly use the pH to find out how much [H+] is needed.

Please help! Thanks in advance!

Notice how pKa = pH. This is the characteristic of the half point. Why?
Remember that:
pH = pKa + log [A-]/[HA]

At half point [A-] = [HA], so log [A-]/[HA] = 1, so:
pH = pKa + log1 = pKa

So, in this example, you just need to find the volume of KOH added to reach the half point. How?

Use M1V1 = M2V2

V1(0.12M) = (60ml)(0.2M)
V1 = 100ml

However, this is the volume of KOH added to reach the equivalence point; whereas, we're looking for the volume at the half-point. So, just divide this volume by 2.

Ans: 100ml/2 = 50ml

Last edited:

whawha

10+ Year Member
Apr 1, 2009
What nze82 did is perfectly correct, and I think the answer should be 50 mL, not 5 mL as given in the solution.

Here is how I approached this problem before I looked at the solution.

# of moles of [H+] in HF = 0.2 * 0.06 = 0.012

At pKa (given to be 3.3), it will lose 50% of the protons, which means it will have 0.006 moles of [H+]

That means, a certain amount of OH- needs to be used to get reacted with 0.006 moles of [H+] of the 0.012.

x mL of KOH = 0.006 moles / 0.12 M = 0.05 L = 50 mL

Hope this helps.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.