Destroyer O chem question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

happyana

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
anyone know why A isn't the answer for #44? why wouldn't the reactivity of the halogens be taken into consideration? isn't I a weak base since it's conjugated acid is really strong, so that would make for a better leaving group?

Members don't see this ad.

anyone know why A isn't the answer for #44? why wouldn't the reactivity of the halogens be taken into consideration? isn't I a weak base since it's conjugated acid is really strong, so that would make for a better leaving group?

I dont have destroyer, if you could post the question i could be of more help.

E is aromatic -the electron density is delocalized - which means it is more stable! The more stable the carbocation - the faster it reacts. I is a better leaving group, but you always have to take into account the structure of the compound. Cl is a good leaving group too - so there are no issues with it not allowing the formation of a carbocation.

that's like saying why does a methyl iodide not react faster than a t-butyl chloride. you gotta form the stablest carbonium ion. making the thing aromatic kicks the butt off I being a better leaving group. hope that hlps.

Members don't see this ad :)
E is aromatic -the electron density is delocalized - which means it is more stable! The more stable the carbocation - the faster it reacts. I is a better leaving group, but you always have to take into account the structure of the compound. Cl is a good leaving group too - so there are no issues with it not allowing the formation of a carbocation.

u pretty much nailed it. the aromaticity once the Cl leaves is the best carbocation structure.