1. Dismiss Notice
  2. This forum is for support and discussion only. Please promote test prep materials/services (including AMAs) in the Special Offers subforum only. Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice

Destroyer O chem question

Discussion in 'DAT Discussions' started by happyana, Dec 23, 2008.

1. happyana

2+ Year Member

Other Health Professions Student
    anyone know why A isn't the answer for #44? why wouldn't the reactivity of the halogens be taken into consideration? isn't I a weak base since it's conjugated acid is really strong, so that would make for a better leaving group?

2. Sublimation

5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I dont have destroyer, if you could post the question i could be of more help.

3. drillbit

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    E is aromatic -the electron density is delocalized - which means it is more stable! The more stable the carbocation - the faster it reacts. I is a better leaving group, but you always have to take into account the structure of the compound. Cl is a good leaving group too - so there are no issues with it not allowing the formation of a carbocation.

4. sciencegod

sciencegod Super Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    that's like saying why does a methyl iodide not react faster than a t-butyl chloride. you gotta form the stablest carbonium ion. making the thing aromatic kicks the butt off I being a better leaving group. hope that hlps.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Panther85

2+ Year Member

Podiatry Student
    u pretty much nailed it. the aromaticity once the Cl leaves is the best carbocation structure.

6. sciencegod

sciencegod Super Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    what's wrong with what I said.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...