Destroyer OChem Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spdental

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I understand Dr. Romano has had some unfortunate events occur so hopefully someone can answer this question for me on here:

A question on the Destroyer OChem states "Which is a carboxy acid derived molecule?"

The answer choices I'm having trouble with are:

Alcohol
Ester

Couldn't both of these be derived from a carboxy acid (for example a carboxylic acid and LAH, and carboxylic acid and a alcohol chain)?

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

"Carboxy acid derivatives" only include Acid chloride, anhydride, ester, amide, and carboxylic acids (and depending on who you talk to, ketones and aldehydes). These are the only derivatives. If you were stating that a carboxy acid derivative was anything that could be synthesized from a carboxylic acid, then everything would be a carboxylic acid derivative.

Reactions: 1 users
I understand Dr. Romano has had some unfortunate events occur so hopefully someone can answer this question for me on here:

A question on the Destroyer OChem states "Which is a carboxy acid derived molecule?"

Alcohol
Ester

Couldn't both of these be derived from a carboxy acid (for example a carboxylic acid and LAH, and carboxylic acid and a alcohol chain)?

Thank you.[/QUOTE

Alcohol
Ester

Thank you.
It is essentially any group with a Carbon double bonded to Oxygen. (Amides, esters, acid chlorides, and anhydrides)

"Carboxy acid derivatives" only include Acid chloride, anhydride, ester, amide, and carboxylic acids (and depending on who you talk to, ketones and aldehydes). These are the only derivatives. If you were stating that a carboxy acid derivative was anything that could be synthesized from a carboxylic acid, then everything would be a carboxylic acid derivative.

Ketones and aldehydes are not carboxy acid derivatives.

Alcohol
Ester

Thank you.

By the term "Carboxy axid derivatives" chemists mean that the new functional group will have an acyl portion (Carbon with a carbonyl) with something other than OH attached to it. For example NH2, or OCH3, or Halogen. Carbon still retains C=O character.
They are also undergo same type of reaction, called "Nucleophilic Acyl substitution".
Hope this helps.

Reactions: 1 user