1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Destroyer - Organic # 16

Discussion in 'DAT Discussions' started by busupshot83, Apr 11, 2007.

1. busupshot83

busupshot83 S.D.N. Vet
    7+ Year Member

I understand that stability of radicals is as follows:

primary < secondary < tertiary < allylic

What I don't understand in this problem is how answer (E) is more stable than answer (B). The way I see it...

(E) is tertiary allyl
    (B) is tertiary allyl

However, the solutions say that (B) is tertiary vinylic. What is the difference between allylic and vinylic?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. jfitzpat

10+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I am pretty sure it is because choice E is resonance stabilized by the pi bond (allylic). Since there is no way to configure a resonance stabilization of B, it would be less stable than answer E.

4. BodybldgDoc

BodybldgDoc Guest

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    a vinyl group is R-CH=CH2 whereas an allyl group is CH2=CH-CH2-R and as you can see an allyl group can delocalize its Pi electrons which makes it more stable as opposed to a vinyl group which is why the answer would be E

5. DentalKitty

5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Vinylic is when the + charge is on a C that has the double bond. Allylic is when the + charge is on a C next to a C with a double bond. Like mentioned above, when you have allylic it is similar to conjugated double bonds where the pi electrons can delocalize and form resonance structures which stabilizes the cation. With vinylic, the charge cannot be delocalized so it is less stable. Not having the ability to delocalize has to do with the orientation of the orbitals and them not being in the same plane. Hope this helps!