Destroyer Orgo #100

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kaDa

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
In #100, why does the second reaction result in the monosubstituted alkene instead of the disubstituted? Is it b/c of the bulky base? If so, does #83 go through because that is only one hydrogen available for E2? (This is in the 2009 version)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Ok first of all, OH is replaced by Cl~

and then we have 2 chloro butane.

The second reaction is bulky strong base with alcohol. This means there will be E2 reaction and it will form C=C with less stable one.

I don't understand what mono-,di substituted refers to.

and for #83, I believe u r correct. U got no choice but to form C=C with that.

Sorry, mono substituted means the alkene forms on the end of the molecule. Di substituted means alkene formation in the middle. I believe the terminology refers to the R groups on either side (so mono has one R group and Di has two). I always though E2 formed the most stable alkene, so I would think this would mean it would want the double bond in the middle. (I guess this refers to Zaitsev's rule)

I was trying to cite #83 as an example of this not happening, but only because it was not possible for any other alkene to form. I think it is getting away from the focus of my question tho, so I apologize :p.

In #100, why does the second reaction result in the monosubstituted alkene instead of the disubstituted? Is it b/c of the bulky base? If so, does #83 go through because that is only one hydrogen available for E2? (This is in the 2009 version)

Both of your explanations are correct

OK, so an unhindered base (like OH) will probably end up with an internal alkene...thanks!