Destroyer Orgo #111

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

prsndwg

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am confused about #111 answer b of 2009 destroyer Orgo. Why are the switching it twice? shouldnt once be enough?

Thanks

Here i tried to draw it out.. y there is a need for second swtich?
ps. sorry for the small size.. i had to resize it so they will let me upload it.

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    5 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:
Hi,

I am confused about #111 answer b of 2009 destroyer Orgo. Why are the switching it twice? shouldnt once be enough?

Thanks
At some point it would be a good idea to mention what the question is asking you rather than posting the # alone.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you switched it only once it would have been completely invalid, and a different configuration than it really is. Dont only depend on the switching substituents rule, it can get you confused, rotate the molecule in your head into the conformation where the Hydrogen or the lowest priority substiuent would be pointing away.

Thanks,
but what is wrong with the 1st switch? I am not understanding what is wrong about it? isnt H on the back?
If you switched it only once it would have been completely invalid, and a different configuration than it really is. Dont only depend on the switching substituents rule, it can get you confused, rotate the molecule in your head into the conformation where the Hydrogen or the lowest priority substiuent would be pointing away.

Thanks,
but what is wrong with the 1st switch? I am not understanding what is wrong about it? isnt H on the back?

Yea H is in the back but remember when you switch only once you switch R to S and S to R, that why from what i remember with that switch rule you must switch twice. I personally never use that rule because it can get you in to trouble some places, if you can try visualizing it or even better switch it around then visualize what you came up with to check it.

got it..perfect..thanks

Yea H is in the back but remember when you switch only once you switch R to S and S to R, that why from what i remember with that switch rule you must switch twice. I personally never use that rule because it can get you in to trouble some places, if you can try visualizing it or even better switch it around then visualize what you came up with to check it.