destroyer orgo number 15

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

arpitpatel86

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
can someone please explain number 15 on orgo (destroyer) to me....it says if given two rings, simply ask which ring is activating and which is deactivating. The ring directly attached to the C double bond O is the deactivating ring so,m So the N will direct.......why does the N direct....why is it a activator isnt it a

r--NH----R group making it a deactivator as well?

Members don't see this ad.

can someone please explain number 15 on orgo (destroyer) to me....it says if given two rings, simply ask which ring is activating and which is deactivating. The ring directly attached to the C double bond O is the deactivating ring so,m So the N will direct.......why does the N direct....why is it a activator isnt it a

r--NH----R group making it a deactivator as well?

NHR group are not deactivators they are activators adding ortho/para directing.

NO2, CO2,COOH, are meta directing deactivators meaning more acidic. I dont have my book with me but you have to see which one was added first. Its easier to explain with a pic but i ll try to explain with a exampel. You have a benzen ring that has a NO2 group and a CH3 attached. The Nitrio group is attached para to the CH3 that means the CH3 was first attached to the benzen ring and then came NO2 because its para directing. If the NO2 group was added meta than ment the NO2 was added 1st and then the CH3.