destroyer quant 64

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pistolpete007

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
im sure its not an error but it seems like it

the question is the weatherman tells u that there is a 70% chance of rain each day for the next 3 days. Whst is the probability it will 2 out of the 3 days.

The formula to use is nCr p^n(1-p)^r
-where p=the probabilty of an event occuring
-n=total number of trials
-r=number of trials having the desired results

destroyer did (3!/(2!1!)(7/10)^2 (.3)^1
the part in the red is what i dont agree with there were 3 total trials so shuldnt n=3 and the desired we wanted 2 rainy days so shouldnt r=1

Members don't see this ad.

Hi pistolpete007,

nope, from my understanding the answer is correct. I hate formulas, so I'll explain it the way I do it, and hopefully you can take what you need from that.

(7/10)*(7/10)*(3/10)*3=.441=44%

We want to know the probability that it will rain for 2 days. Those are 2 separate events, so n should equal 2. We also have to take care of the one other day in which we don't want it to rain (3/10)...therefore r should equal 1.

And the reason we multiply the whole expression by 3 (which you already understand, but I'll explain anyways) is because the 2 days in which it can rain can happen in 3 different ways...
it may rain on day1 and day2...or...day1 and day3..or...day2 and day3..

Hope that helps!

im sure its not an error but it seems like it

the question is the weatherman tells u that there is a 70% chance of rain each day for the next 3 days. Whst is the probability it will 2 out of the 3 days.

The formula to use is nCr p^n(1-p)^r
-where p=the probabilty of an event occuring
-n=total number of trials
-r=number of trials having the desired results

destroyer did (3!/(2!1!)(7/10)^2 (.3)^1
the part in the red is what i dont agree with there were 3 total trials so shuldnt n=3 and the desired we wanted 2 rainy days so shouldnt r=1
No, r = 2. The formula you have is wrong. It should have these terms:

p^r (this is the probability of the event occurring, and the power is the # of times you want it to happen)

(1-p)^(n-r) (this is the probability of the event NOT occurring, and the power is the # of times it will NOT happen)