Destroyer question: 2' OH?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

busupshot83

S.D.N. Vet
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
On page. 72 of the Orgo section in the Destroyer, it states "DNA lacks 2' OH group, thus it is a deoxyribonucleic acid." Can someone refresh my rusty memory on what 2' OH means?

Members don't see this ad.

On page. 72 of the Orgo section in the Destroyer, it states "DNA lacks 2' OH group, thus it is a deoxyribonucleic acid." Can someone refresh my rusty memory on what 2' OH means?

Wait, is this question referring to the 3' and 5' end strands of DNA?

The deoxy prefix indicates that the #2 carbon atom of the sugar lacks the oxygen atom lacking from the OH. So 2 is the position of the carbon of the DNA molecule, nothing to do with the strand.

The deoxy prefix indicates that the #2 carbon atom of the sugar lacks the oxygen atom lacking from the OH. So 2 is the position of the carbon of the DNA molecule, nothing to do with the strand.

Hey Msh, long time no see... you're a mod now? I was away for too long ;).

Thanks for the information, that clears it up!

Well since you hide out in the dental forum of course you're not going to see me anymore. I saw your question and decided to do an old friend a favor and help him out! ;)

Things are going well here, can't complain. Hope DAT studying goes well for you. I'm studying for MCAT (well supposedly at least). :)

Taking over the world, one step at a time :smuggrin: