Destroyer Road Maps??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Guitar

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those of you folks who have used the Destroyer road maps for organic chemistry.... Did you memorize the maps and then write them on the scrap paper before the exam, and if you did do you feel that they helped you. I am simply asking because it seems like a lot of time to invest in memorizing them for it not to be a help.
Thanks so much,

Members don't see this ad.

For those of you folks who have used the Destroyer road maps for organic chemistry.... Did you memorize the maps and then write them on the scrap paper before the exam, and if you did do you feel that they helped you. I am simply asking because it seems like a lot of time to invest in memorizing them for it not to be a help.
Thanks so much,

If you go over all the organic chem problems in the Dat Destroyer, I think you will have covered the majority of the reactions in the road map..

the road maps are not for straight memorizing. just understand how you get from step A to step B. it's just a condensed way of showing many different reactions.

if you know the reagents for catalyzing the reactions, you can go through the road map as a way to study.

Members don't see this ad :)
the road maps are not for straight memorizing. just understand how you get from step A to step B. it's just a condensed way of showing many different reactions.

if you know the reagents for catalyzing the reactions, you can go through the road map as a way to study.

Yes!...Ditto...understand how going on different roads leads to different things...It's definitely NOT about memorizing...

I took out blank scrarch pieces of printer paper and wrote out what was happening and labeled the reactions so that I can categorize what's happening...for example...Wittig, Markovnikov, Anti-Markovnikov, SN1, E2, etc...

Eventually, I knew why going one direction on the road map led to a totally different product than using a different reagent.

- Dude

OK, so what are these roadmaps you guys are talking about? I have the destroyer, both the regular book and the O Chem odyssey book, but I have no idea what the roadmaps are... am I missing something? Please help =)

OK, so what are these roadmaps you guys are talking about? I have the destroyer, both the regular book and the O Chem odyssey book, but I have no idea what the roadmaps are... am I missing something? Please help =)

Haha. I freaked out too when I couldn't find it. Go to #118 or something in the Solutions section of Orgo. You'll find the maps there.

I looked over the maps and find it very confusing.

Its quite simple. It starts with a certain molecule and traces every possible reaction that could happen with/to it. Okay,maybe not every possible one,but every one the DAT-gods would ever ask. Call N&R if you get stuck---those are Dr.Romano's specialty!