Destroyer'15 Q27 Most Stable Newman

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

BabyBombers24

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
In the 2015 DAT DESTROYER Q. 27
This question requires you to determine the most stable Newman, and I get that the answer is E bc the Gauche interactions between Br-Br isn't as reactive as Br-CH3, but in the solution it says that between B and D (eclipsed models), B. is MOST UNSTABLE (Br-Br close proximity to each other). Considering the reasoning behind the gauche interactions of Ch3 and Br, why doesn't this apply for the eclipsed conformation of answer choice D (CH3 and Br close proximity). I would think D would be the most unstable since the 2 atoms are larger interactions. Can anyone clarify? Thank you!
 
In the 2015 DAT DESTROYER Q. 27
This question requires you to determine the most stable Newman, and I get that the answer is E bc the Gauche interactions between Br-Br isn't as reactive as Br-CH3, but in the solution it says that between B and D (eclipsed models), B. is MOST UNSTABLE (Br-Br close proximity to each other). Considering the reasoning behind the gauche interactions of Ch3 and Br, why doesn't this apply for the eclipsed conformation of answer choice D (CH3 and Br close proximity). I would think D would be the most unstable since the 2 atoms are larger interactions. Can anyone clarify? Thank you!

I believe it's a typo, cause on my DAT destroyer 2017 version question 32 (same question as yours) says that D is the most unstable not B. Which you're totally right.