Detecting Drowning

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.

maelstrommage

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have an idea for an invention but I need some info and thought a naval doctor might be the best to ask. For simplicity, let us say you are in a room full of medical equipment which is monitoring a person in another room which you cannot see. If this person started to drown, which piece of equipment would detect a problem first (blood ox, blood pressure, heart rate, etc)? Secondly, which piece of equipment--which would detect a problem, but not necessarily detect it first--would be the least expensive?

Also, any links to webpages, titles of books or journal articles which would pertain to this subject would be appreciated

Thank you.

Mike
 
WTF???
Why in the name of all things that don't make sense would you have an ICU room complete with a pool????Hell I say forget about the pulse ox, ECG monitor and all that expensive crap, just hire yourself a kid who's Lifegaurd certified for $6/hour and save yourself a ton of money...they are great at detecting people who are drowning... and if you ever want an upgrade, in light of your preference for the Navy you could always hire a retired SEAL complete with Draeger rebreathing dive gear to swim with the ICU patient...this apparatus would allow you to monitor the patient's flatus output while not being fooled by a open circuit bubble producing SCUBA system...
 
You are cross-posting. According to SDN etiquette this is a foul, I believe.

After reading the replies from the other forum, I don't think you're going to get any legitimate responses until you are less vague. I found the, "Are we at Sea World" comment humorous. What are you talking about?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.