Determining coursework

Started by Turtlefan
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Turtlefan

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am so glad this resource it out here. I have a lot of questions about being a potential non-trad applicant...so here goes!

I'm beginning my fourth year of a PhD in neuroscience; I'll be completing it before I go to med school, though I may be writing my dissertation and applying at the same time, so I am not too concerned with that aspect. My questions are more on coursework requirements.

I went to ugrad at Brown, i.e. no core curriculum. I had a lot of APs, so I was able to place out of certain courses. The result is that my transcript is a bit odd. I don't have a general biology course with lab, but I have a physiology, genetics, and neuropharmacology course with lab. I don't have English Literature, but I do have several literature classes in modern poetry, Greek tragedy, and Christian mysticism. I have the second half of a two-semester general chemistry course. I have only calculus, no trig. I have only one semester of orgo, so I know I'll need to take that again. In my graduate work, I have other lab courses, including neuropathology and neurophysiology.

My questions are: will I need to take general biology even if I have four other lab courses? Will I need to take "formal" literature?

Also, my dissertation is on Parkinson's patients and another human subgroup. Should I still try to shadow someone? I just don't see being able to take on another task in addition to my teaching and computer jobs, classes, etc.
 
See a premed advisor. The safe answer is to take all the exact requirements. Schools may vary with how flexible they are.