Detroit Mercy interview question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rkhalil6

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

So I have an interview at Detroit Mercy sometime this month and I'm starting to prepare for it. I'm really nervous because it's prolly my top choice and I have to make sure I'm ready for this interview. One question that I'm sure I will be asked is why do you want to come to Detroit Mercy. I know I wanna go there because I'm a resident of Michigan and also because I have read on SDN that it has a great clinical program. Now I know that's an okay answer but I need alot more details to really expand on this answer..

How would any of you approach this question? what are some pros to attending Detroit Mercy? anyone know any exact info on their curriculum? what makes it unique? or their clinical program? Anything that will help me answer this question is really appreciated. I tried their website but the info there is really general.

If anyone already attended their interview, do you mind posting your feedback? I'm really stressing out and want to have an idea of what will take place during the interview. I read that it's chill and informal, but can anyone please expand on that?

Thanks again.

Members don't see this ad.

i had this exact interview question and i was completely honest and said it was the closest school to my home :)
in terms of its uniqueness, yes the clinical program is fantastic. we drilled preps on the first day, and none of my colleagues at other programs have even been close. but ask yourself why is it your top choice?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks so much for your reply, can you please tell me what do you mean by drilling preps? and was that on your first clinical day? of DS1?

What is unique about the school from what you have seen? can you please share your opinion?

Thanks so much for your reply, can you please tell me what do you mean by drilling preps? and was that on your first clinical day? of DS1?

What is unique about the school from what you have seen? can you please share your opinion?

we start preclinical in sim lab from day 1 of classes, meaning we were practising drilling skills (on typodont, not in the real clinic) from the beginning

after seeing other schools and mine, i feel UDM really provides for its students. they accomodate our schedules and never deny us an experience in the lab due to lack of space/chairs (other schools i've interviewed at seem like they don't have enough room for their students and you have to book times to practise in the lab), even though UDM expanded their class size from 96-->144-->160

we start preclinical in sim lab from day 1 of classes, meaning we were practising drilling skills (on typodont, not in the real clinic) from the beginning

after seeing other schools and mine, i feel UDM really provides for its students. they accomodate our schedules and never deny us an experience in the lab due to lack of space/chairs (other schools i've interviewed at seem like they don't have enough room for their students and you have to book times to practise in the lab), even though UDM expanded their class size from 96-->144-->160

2012 adea book says the class size is still 96
i guess it has outdated info..
thanks for your help !

2012 adea book says the class size is still 96
i guess it has outdated info..
thanks for your help !

our current 2016 class is 144, and next year's class will likely expand to 160

Great info. Thank you so much!!!

Wzhu thanks for taking the time to help us out.. much appreciated!

if anyone else has anything to add, please feel free, really helps us prepare for the interview :)