Detroit Mercy or Case?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xml2008

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just received an offer from Case, besides UDM. Any input about which one to choose would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I would say this really depends on you. Weigh the pros and cons of each school, and determine what suits you the best. Not sure it helps, but the following comes to mind when comparing the two: The cities are actually comparable...Detroit isn't as bad as everyone likes to think. I think Case uses PBL and has a pass fail system...Mercy uses a traditional learning model and I believe they rank their students. Mercy has a sweet new facility (not sure about Case). I think the cost of attending is also comparable. I know Mercy provides amazing clinical exposure, but it seems like Case would too.

Good luck and congratulations on your acceptances.

If you can handle PBL, go to case. You also get your own chair!

If not, UDM is top notch in it's own right. With the new building (which I hear is sweeet), you'll enjoy your time there.

Both schools provide quality clinical education.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is it harder to specialize from UDM? Do most students go there to become general dentists? From what I have heard, its good to have some research experience before applying for specialites, does UDM offer reserach opportunities?

Well UDM does have research opportunities for students. They have had a couple meetings for students that are interested in research and they are in the process of finishing some research labs. I think they are trying to get more students involved this semester. Good luck trying to find time to do research because you are super busy. Maybe there is more time in your 3rd or 4th year.

I had the same choice between Case and UDM. Both are good schools but UDM won my choice. They do have a newer facility than case. I guess what made me choose UDM was the students and faculty. During my interview they faculty and students took the time to really show me what the school was like instead of a quick tour like I got at Case. It felt like the faculty really cared about the students and the students cared about each other. One final note, Detroit in not bad. There are a lot of cool places in and near the city. There is plenty of stuff to do with the very limited free time you have.

Good luck with the choice!

Well UDM does have research opportunities for students. They have had a couple meetings for students that are interested in research and they are in the process of finishing some research labs. I think they are trying to get more students involved this semester. Good luck trying to find time to do research because you are super busy. Maybe there is more time in your 3rd or 4th year.

I had the same choice between Case and UDM. Both are good schools but UDM won my choice. They do have a newer facility than case. I guess what made me choose UDM was the students and faculty. During my interview they faculty and students took the time to really show me what the school was like instead of a quick tour like I got at Case. It felt like the faculty really cared about the students and the students cared about each other. One final note, Detroit in not bad. There are a lot of cool places in and near the city. There is plenty of stuff to do with the very limited free time you have.

Good luck with the choice!

Thanks, does anyone else have anything to say about these schools?

UDM is terrible, awful! You are bound to hate it. I can't speak for any other dental school. But if i had it to do over again, i would NEVER go to UDMSD!

You may not like your other choice but i can guarantee that you will hate UDMSD. You are better off taking your chance elsewhere! And don't think you are above it! I had the warning signs in front of me before i attended the school. I thought i was better than better than that and above that to get sucked in to a bad situation. I still went there and i regretted it!

Bottom line, UDMSD is a second-rate dental school and you will be better off going elsewhere! You will get no better education at UDMSD than you will anywhere else and the learning environment and experience is terribly awful!