sks2286

10+ Year Member
Mar 21, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
Hey

I called Detroit Mercy today to check if my app was complete and I got a back a laundry list of things I needed to do.

One of my letters of recs was from my Physics TA so I need a department head or Professor to sign the rec. So i guess I would have to contact my TA and then tell him to write a whole new letter of rec and have it signed by the Professor or Department head.

Is there a better way of doing this?
Will i run into this problem at other schools?

For my letter of recs i have two science profs and one ta.

I kind of wonder if there are problems with the other schools i applied to.

carmensandiego

10+ Year Member
Jun 5, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
UDM is so ridiculous about their application
1. one of my letters of recommendation is from a teacher who didn't write the course number in the letter so I have to get her to write a new one
2. UDM is so late in letting me know this that it probably won't get to them until 3 weeks after December first (and I have had interviews that are NOT in crappy Detroit that I would much rather go to. I keep asking myself is all this paperwork really worth it?)
3. I have graduated from an accredited University in the State of Michigan and they are not sure if I meet a minimum requirement for English Composition. Shouldn't this be obvious? Wouldn't I have to take English? Just because it doesn't say ENGLISH on my transcript and instead says UPPER LEVEL WRITING REQUIREMENT. Common sense anyone?
4. They send me a letter every day. I think they might actually be insane.

Half of these letters could be avoided if they TRUSTED the applicants and they used a little bit of COMMON SENSE.

They need to change their system.

(there I vented : ))

About the Ads

TeamGuo

10+ Year Member
Apr 2, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
UDM is so ridiculous about their application
1. one of my letters of recommendation is from a teacher who didn't write the course number in the letter so I have to get her to write a new one
2. UDM is so late in letting me know this that it probably won't get to them until 3 weeks after December first (and I have had interviews that are NOT in crappy Detroit that I would much rather go to.[/B][/B][/B][/B] I keep asking myself is all this paperwork really worth it?)
3. I have graduated from an accredited University in the State of Michigan and they are not sure if I meet a minimum requirement for English Composition. Shouldn't this be obvious? Wouldn't I have to take English? Just because it doesn't say ENGLISH on my transcript and instead says UPPER LEVEL WRITING REQUIREMENT. Common sense anyone?
4. They send me a letter every day. I think they might actually be insane.

Half of these letters could be avoided if they TRUSTED the applicants and they used a little bit of COMMON SENSE.

They need to change their system.

(there I vented : ))

Then drop UDM.

As for the OP, UDM likes the letters from the most recent science profs. They have it on their website. I think most schools prefer letters from the professors instead of TAs.

sks2286

10+ Year Member
Mar 21, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
Applying is stressful and meeting all the schools requirements can be a challenge especially when certain details matter at one and others school they don't. I was just venting and Im sure a lot of people want to too.

Im getting more and more frustrated but Dec 1st is coming soon. Who knows, i could be even more frustrated after dec 1st. Hope not!

UDM is just one school and I'm not going to jump through hoops to meet their requirements right away. Ill see what happens in early December then Ill consider meeting all their requirements.

huk1985

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 26, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
UDM is pretty disorganized, even more than Case. I sent them everything twice and they still told me they are still missing couple of stuff. It's like they have 10 different and separate folder for me. I called them a month and half ago, they said they were missing everything from me and I call them the next again and apparently they found some of my stuff from somwhere.It's too much stuff to do to send everything over and over again. I don't think I would really want to go to a school that is so disorganized.

smallnugget

10+ Year Member
Nov 13, 2008
Status (Visible)
Yea they took forever to find my file when i called.

They keep sending letter after letter too. At first it was cool but now its just annoying.

It does sound like a good school after reading their folder. I liked the emphasis on hospital dentistry and they can provide a good clinical experience.

pbrooks

10+ Year Member
Sep 8, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
I was getting really frustrated with UDM because they kept saying that I am not considered academically active enough (even though I am in the middle of a MSc degree) to apply. I finally spoke directly with the person in charge of admissions, Karin La Rose-Neil, she is awesome. I have frequently been told the wrong info by the other administrators that answer the phone. so either ask for Karin directly or write an email to admissions with her name in the subject and she will clear anything up :)

Dr2BSoon

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 17, 2004
Detroit
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
If you don't appreciate UDM and all of their many wonderful virtues, then we don't want you. If you are complaining now, you'll always be complaining if you attend UDM because you won't value the opportunities you have been given here.

huk1985

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 26, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
If you don't appreciate UDM and all of their many wonderful virtues, then we don't want you. If you are complaining now, you'll always be complaining if you attend UDM because you won't value the opportunities you have been given here.
Chill, dude. I don't know if you are a current student at UDM or you work there. But, as an applicant not being able to complete your application and have it reviewed even though you sent everything is really frustrating especially if that happens more than once. Yes, I get that UDM gets a lot applicants and a lot of materials from those applicants but so does the other schools and they seem to find my stuff just fine. Honestly as an applicant who've had interviews already, I really value my communication with the schools before I even get the interview, because only things that will cause me to favor one school over others is how organized and nice the admissions or administration people seem, other than obvious things like costs, tuition and location. Because I personally don't think any students or professors at each school won't say anything bad about their schools.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.