Detroit Mercy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dent1021

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi everybody,

We all know that UDM does admissions their own strange way. But I haven't heard much about what's going on right now. Are they done interviewing? Do they just take very LONG to send out rejections?

Is the class full*, or are they taking their sweet time with selections? Anybody?

thanks!

* Yes, I am aware of the backlash that comes with somebody saying that a class is full and that new students come in the first week of class yada yada....but there is nothing wrong with having an idea of where the class is at.

Members don't see this ad.

I am pretty curious about Mercy....

The thing about mercy is, they are SOOO hard to get in touch with, all the numbers you call, always leads you to leave them a voice mail lol.

Are you from michigan? I know they accept 75% of thier applicants from michigan so you'll stand a good chance if your from Mi

No, unfortunately i'm not from Mi.

thanks anyways..i guess we'll just have to wait.

Members don't see this ad :)
i got an interview invite a few days ago.

they said the class is full but they take 8-37 ppl off the waitlist each year.

I can't say for sure whether or not they are full, but i've found them pretty easy to get a hold of and they have been good about responses. I was interviewed in Mid Janurary and got accepted a week later. I think they're taking their time b/c, like all schools this year, they are getting many more applications then they are used to.

I was on the wait list, but got in, and turned down the offer

speaking of mercy
are they notoriously slow to send out any information to the accepted people
cuz i'm in
sent in my deposit
sent in my financial aid info and now nothing...all i'm gettting is crickets
i even sent an email to the financial aid lady and she said she hadn't even gotten the class list yet and that was in april
can any udm people help with this

yea their admissions office and financial aid people are pretty slow...its really the only complaint i have w/ the school. I would keep email and calling..and if you get through and get an answer about the everything be sure to post...i'll do the same thing. See ya in the fall!

just as long as i'm not going nuts ;)
will u let me know if anything new happens with you...just so i keep i timeframe...cuz we're both in the same area so to speak
i'm going to email again tonight and see what's up

Has anybody gotten their financial aid award letter yet? I submitted my financial aid stuff a long time ago and thought I would have heard by now! I can't get pre-approved for a home loan until I have my financial aid award letter, and I am going to lose the house I want. Shouldn't they keep us up to date a little bit better? I am excited to start, but I would be more excited if we were given more regular updates.

No I haven't. I'm beginning to get the impression they are really REALLY slow, but I need to go look for a place to live as well and I don't want to drive all the way up from detroit to look for apartments when i don't even know what my rewards statement is. I'm from the Chicago area so I didn't get it, and I don't know about people in other states or if people from Michigan have gotten theres yet or what's going on.
I actually emailed them last week to ask a stupid question JUST to see if I could get a response...nothing...its pretty frustrating
I hope you don't lose ur house though, good luck

How do you get pre-approved for a house with student aid? You'll need either great credit or access to a ton of liquid assets. You should go stated income on the house and take out a private loan for school if you need to. Financial aid can't be finalized until the fed gov tells the schools how much actual loan dollars they have for the next academic year, then the financial aid office disperses it, then they send you a letter detailing what your package is. The fed gov doesn't usually give the word to schools until early June.

FYI for those attending UDM...apparently they make you buy a computer through the school...one of those IBM tablet computers apparently. I was just told this the other day by a current first year student. So dont be stupid like me and buy yourself a new computer b/c you wont need it

OK, I talked to Ms. Taylor today in Financial Aid, and she said that the Financial Aid office has yet to receive the class list. So they don't even know who to prepare award letters for yet. Anyway, she also said that she will prepare my award letter this week. So even though the award letters won't be ready for awhile, if you email the office and tell them you are part of the class of 2011 they can expediate the preparation of your award information.

ok cool
that's helps a lot

Sham...man they make us get comps...i hate IBM ....and idea why?

apparently you use them in clinic...for signatures and such. basically they just allow you to keep track of everything, at least thats what i'm gathering. I couldn't believe it either...I dont get why they didn't mention this. Oh, by the way everyone...make sure you join the facebook group if you havent yet...seems that there is going to be quite the Chicago invasion in detroit. Should be cool.