detroit mercy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JMC07

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it absolutely necessary to have 17 or above in each section on DAT? I just got an update and I think that they want me to retake DAT b/c of my QR score. Do they not even consider an applicant who doesn't meet this?

Members don't see this ad.

good question. I applied last year and had a 16 on QR they didn't give me interview but my friend had 16 on QR and 15 on PA. with 3.9 GPA she got an interview and she goes to that school now. my GPA was 3.1 and Rest of my DAT score with 20 science 19AA and PA 18 . So I guess if you have a good GPA they may not look at it otherwise you have to Retake it to get 17.

Yep, i applied 2 years ago, and the lady said she will give me an interview if i could score 18 across the board, but i only had less than a week to reschedule to take my Dats... and by that time i hadn't studied, for a retake. I wrote a letter telling them it wasn't sufficent time, and could they reconsider. They wrote a letter back saying, sorry please apply back next cycle. So yea, Detroit Mercy is funny about scores. Some people i hear they let slide, but if you recieved that packet that they send to everyone who is considering going to the school, it says under DAT: To get an interview must score 18 in each section.

Go figure...

Members don't see this ad :)
No...you dont "need" to get 17's across the board. I know of a few people in our class who scored a 16 on certain sections..whether it be PAT, QR, GC, whatever. I think they just say it b/c they know competition is fierce these days. Hell, i think our incoming class average GPA's..both science and cum.. were around the 3.7 range and the Average DATs across the board were no lower than 20. So it gets pretty intense, but long story short...its not a dead on requirement to score 17+ in all sections...but it definitely makes your life and their decision easier.

Thanks everyone for your feedback!!

I just got a letter saying that I need to retake because of the QR, but I dont plan on it. I did well in every other section. I'm going to send them whatever else the letter said but I'm not retaking.