developmental behavioral pediatrician

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

whiteelephant

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone on this board works in this area, or could direct me to relevant resources. When I research information on this area, I get a sense of potential job tasks, but it's hard to discern whether these simply represent research areas or ideal realms of practice which are overrided by the basic structure of doing routine check-ups.

Do DBP's do more than regular pediatricians? If so, what else might be incldued in their job descriptions?

It'd be great if someone could provide any perspective they have on this area.

Thanks.
-W

Members don't see this ad.

I was wondering if anyone on this board works in this area, or could direct me to relevant resources. When I research information on this area, I get a sense of potential job tasks, but it's hard to discern whether these simply represent research areas or ideal realms of practice which are overrided by the basic structure of doing routine check-ups.

Do DBP's do more than regular pediatricians? If so, what else might be incldued in their job descriptions?
Take a look at the website listed below. It may give you some ideas.
http://www.dbpeds.org/

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks, I appreciate the responses. While it does shed clarity on the unique role of the DBP professional, I still have questions about what the work consists of and what this fellow means by speaking of the field as "glorified social work."

It would be great if someone could share their expertise of/interest in the subject with me

Thanks

W

I still have questions about what the work consists of and what this fellow means by speaking of the field as "glorified social work."

I shadowed with a pediatric psychiatrist at an academic hospital and there definitely was a huge "social work" compenent to it. Advocating for children in non-medical realms is an extremely important part of her job. Things like trying to get people the right contacts in state social services, writing letters to judges regarding litigation that effected children, writing letters to state adoption agencies on behalf of children, letters to teachers/principals, etc.

Last edited:

It'd be great if someone could provide any perspective they have on this area.

-W

You really should PM Bernardo as he is an attending DBP doc. There is a huge need for more of these folks and they do an amazing job of managing and consulting on a complex population of infants and children. They are involved in post-NICU assessments including many research studies in this population. They are also involved in a range of assessments and research related to autism and related disorders.

Sorry for not replying sooner. When I mentioned "Glorified Social Work" it was not meant to be demeaning to the specialty in as so much me making a joke. For many developmental disabilities, most of the good outcomes are not so much from what we do in the clinic visit, but more so making sure a set of services are available. Early Intervention, Individualized Educational Plans, Vocational Rehab, are just some of the organizations we deal with to insure better outcomes for our patients. Knowledge of how a family navigates through that system, from birth to adulthood, becomes an extremely important component to our practice. Feel free to PM me if you have any further questions.

Nardo

Hi! The population I'm most interested in is young children with autism or developmental delays. I was hoping someone (or multiple someones) could give me a better understanding about the interactions with different types of specialties and this population.

Pediatrics, developmental and behavioral pediatrics, child psych, pediatric neuro, and neurodevelopmental disabilities are the ones that seemed like they might have the most bearing.

I'm interested in knowing about the different types or practice and roles and anything else that someone could explain about them, aside from the training tracks which was pretty easy to figure out online.