Developmental biology on DAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ICUrunning

On the Iron Path
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How important is this section on the DAT? DAT Destroyer does not really go into depth nor do any of the practice exams. Did any of you receive fair amount of questions about it when taking the DAT? If so, what particular topics/questions were you asked?

Members don't see this ad.

I think it's pretty important. I had a couple questions on my test, from what I remember - one about amphibians, one on embryonic development (morula, blastula etc.) and one on spermatogenesis. I'm not sure about destroyer, but I know there are a ton of questions on this chapter on datqvault.

Last edited:
Know that the primary germ layers (ectoderm, mesoderm, endoderm) are formed during gastrulation. Also should know some things about embryos, such as the functions of allantois, chorion, and amnion, etc. I think had a 2-3 developmental questions on my exam.

Members don't see this ad :)
Know Germ layers and their products. As SmileDesignersDDS said, know Morula, Blastula and Gastrula and what they do. Destroyer, CrackDAT and Feralis have some good practise questions on that.

Ok this is my mnumonic.
Ectoderm
PItuitary
Adrenal Medulla
Nervous system
Germ cells
Lens of eye
Epidermis
Jaws

Mesoderm
Blood
Adrenal Cortex
Dermis
Muscles
Iris of eye
Skeletal muscle
Circulatory system
Kidney
Lymphatic system

Notochord
Gonads (double check this)
Connective tissue

Endoderm
Bladder
Liver
Thyroid
(There's a few more I forgot )

also epithelial linings of various organs

I pulled these from Campbell's
If you know the acronyms you should remember these fine

I literally write tricks like this about 10 times a day

I start off writing things like this and other stuff

so ectoderm is PANGLE J
Mesoderm is BADMiScKL NGC
The NGC is something I found later so it doesn't fit the acronym that well.

Endoderm mostly is the epithelial linings of most internal organs

Hope this helps. It's sure helping me out!!!

Another thing that I made up. (Kind of dirty and may get blocked by the moderator but here it is

To remember in order; Fertilization> cleavage> Morula> blastula> gastrulation> development. I use F***ing Carly Makes Bank God Dammit

It's very important. The bio section is the one section of the test where you cannot neglect anything if you want a good score because you might end up getting loads of questions from your weak sections. Funny thing is a lot of people place emphasis on studying the various human systems, but I found there weren't too many questions about that. They exist but not in the quantities that you would think. Cell Biology, Genetics, and Energy systems are where you need to know your stuff inside-out.

It's very important. The bio section is the one section of the test where you cannot neglect anything if you want a good score because you might end up getting loads of questions from your weak sections. Funny thing is a lot of people place emphasis on studying the various human systems, but I found there weren't too many questions about that. They exist but not in the quantities that you would think. Cell Biology, Genetics, and Energy systems are where you need to know your stuff inside-out.
What do you mean by energy systems? Metabolism, photosynthesis, etc?