Developmental Psychology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zbombvt

Bona fide Posting Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This might be an incredibly naive/ignorant post, but here goes...

I'm applying to many clinical psychology programs and a few developmental psychology programs which have a focus in developmental psychopathology. My question to the board is how should a personal statement dedicated to the developmental psychology program differ from the clinical? It seems to me that with so many clinical programs focusing on research that the only real difference involves the clinical training element. Should there be a different emphasis if what I want career-wise want is to be part of an academic research program? Obviously the roles change depending on whether or not you can practice.

Any feedback would be welcomed. To be frank, I'm concerned that professors in a developmental psychology program would read my personal statement and wonder why this person isn't just applying to clinical psychology programs.

Members don't see this ad.

I am a bit curious about what your clinical personal statements say. Even though you can do therapy after a clinical program, unless it is a Psy.D, keep in mind that most if not all the professors you are applying to are researchers and are looking to create future researchers. Because of that, in either, I would stress research. That is just what I did, however, but then again I truly want to be a researcher :).

Agreed. My interest in clinical is entirely limited to being part of a clinical research program. My question would be, can you be in a clinical academic program (even run the program) if you have a PhD in developmental vs. clinical psych.

I think it's doubtful if you can work in a clinical program with a developmental degree. I know, for example, that it's difficult to work in a clinical program with a counseling Ph.D. and vice-versa (though not as hard working in counseling with a clinical) so it might be even harder to move from developmental to clinical. But I could be totally wrong about that? What have your mentors said about career options in clinical with a developmental degree? Have you seen faculty in clinical programs with developmental degrees? Some probably connect closely with clinical programs or even advise clinical students, but they may not be employed by the clinical area as such.