Dexel's Veterinary Medical Science Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Admerylous

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have just recently discovered I've been rejected from the two schools I've applied to this year. I've come to realize that my GPA just is not competitive enough and I will certainly most likely have to prove myself in graduate school.

Is anyone familiar with this one-year program at Drexel?
http://www.drexelmed.edu/PostBaccPr...icalScienceVMSProgram/tabid/1099/Default.aspx

Members don't see this ad.

I was heavily considering doing that program this year (since I decided to take a year off). I talked to the pre-med advisor and he said he was not too familiar with the program and to go for experience. If you do not mind my asking, what are your stats? Also, talk to the veterinary schools, if they are aware of the program and support it, then it might be a great idea. For me, getting a job full time helped the most, but we all have our own unique application packages :). I think that if it is primarily grades that are preventing you from getting in, then it is best to ask what each of the schools suggest- masters program, retaking core courses, or the drexel program. If I remember correctly, you have a while before the deadline for applying so take your time! My friend is in a similar program at Drexel for medical school, I will see what he thinks. Of course, Drexel has a medical school, so it might help him a lot if he is thinking of going there....

I hope this helped a little... I feel as if I just told you all of my thoughts from last year hahaha I hope they made sense!

My GPA 3.0; Sciences 3.3. GRE 1270.
I'm in a tough spot.
I've close to ~4000 experience hours in animal hospitals working as a technician.

I'm quite confused as to what path I should be taking at this point. Georgia said their interviews to review applications will be held in May. Some of the programs I was looking at deadline in April. I need to start thinking.. fast!

Members don't see this ad :)
As far as I know, Drexel University is right next to Penn, so they do collaborate and nearly share campuses. I don't know about specifics, but if you are planning on applying to Penn, I think it would be a good program to look into, because at least Penn is very familiar with it.

I'm also considering it if I don't get into the last school I haven't heard from. Partially because my best friend lives near Philly (her hubby goes to Penn Med) and it would be cool to be close to her, since we tend to keep each other sane. My stats are scary similar to yours, except I'm not sure about the hours; I counted them out for the VMCAS, but I can't remember off the top of my head what the number was. :D Anyway, I don't really have any words of wisdom, except try to see if the schools you'd want to apply to would be impressed by you being in this program. The main reason I'm considering it is that my GPA is not so great, and I think it needs more work than my number of hours.

And after viewing the curriculum at Drexel I wonder if I would gain similar benefit just by going to my undergraduate college and just re-taking the same classes for the GPA.

I do not know how that is viewed by veterinary schools, though. I don't want to be so stagnant as a person in my growth -- just simply retaking the same courses to work on my GPA when I could be obtaining a masters and so forth.

And then when I learn that some schools do not weigh post-bacc credits and so forth.

Ahhh, the stress is killing me.