RBA

Dec 10, 2009
Status
I'm in private practice and have just started using Dex. Is there a recipe for small boluses at the end of a ped tonsil to smooth the wakeups? Thanks.

Mman

10+ Year Member
Mar 22, 2005
Status
Attending Physician
3 mcgs/kg? That seems like an awfully big dose. For a 70 kg adult patient, that would be 210 mcg (or 52.5 mls of the commonly diluted 4 mcg/ml solution).

Do you mean 0.3 mcg/kg? I freely admit I don't really use it as a bolus at the start of a case in peds patient. At the end of the case, a small dose can make a smoother (but slower) wake up possible but nothing remotely as big as what you suggest.

countingdays

ASA Member
5+ Year Member
May 16, 2009
Status
Attending Physician
I'm in private practice and have just started using Dex. Is there a recipe for small boluses at the end of a ped tonsil to smooth the wakeups? Thanks.
Cote says 0.5 mcg/kg 5 minutes before wakeup decreases emergence delirium but prolongs emergence.

Arch Guillotti

Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Aug 8, 2001
Status
Attending Physician
3 mcgs/kg? That seems like an awfully big dose. For a 70 kg adult patient, that would be 210 mcg (or 52.5 mls of the commonly diluted 4 mcg/ml solution).

Do you mean 0.3 mcg/kg? I freely admit I don't really use it as a bolus at the start of a case in peds patient. At the end of the case, a small dose can make a smoother (but slower) wake up possible but nothing remotely as big as what you suggest.
I haven't really used clonidine too much in kids but sometimes I will give it for adoldescent males to prevent a violent wakeup, and have dosed as much as 150 mcg without problems.

Impromptu

ASA Member
10+ Year Member
Feb 19, 2009
Status
Attending Physician
I'm an intern who didn't know much about this drug before. However, at the bidding of the attending, I just wrote for it to ease the emergence of a patient in our ICU from his previous week of sedation. I'm excited to see how it works.

no oxygen

got fascism?
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 19, 2005
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I typically work in 2 mcg/kg dexmedetomidine gradually over the course of the case. I think it works quite well and the kids wake up comfortable and typically need little if any narcotic in PACU. Of course, they sleep for a while in PACU with this dose.

Jay K

nullum gratuitum prandium
10+ Year Member
Nov 11, 2008
ハードボイルド・ ワンダーランド
Status
Attending Physician
At around $60-80/vial of dex, that's gonna be an expensive regimen for peds tonsils. I don't know about you, but I don't even have time to finish charting most of the time for a peds tonsil in PP (especially at the ASC), much less have time to bolus small doses of dex. AND to get the ASC to pay for/supply dex? We're lucky if they don't limit the propofol.

Edit: To say I understand, in no way, did I actually address your actual question or provide any useful information to you.

Last edited:

Mman

10+ Year Member
Mar 22, 2005
Status
Attending Physician
Depends on the schedule. 1 vial can cover a whole lotta wakeups.
Many institutions have policies that prohibit using a single vial on more than 1 patient because each patient gets charged for the whole vial and it would amount to insurance fraud. It would probably need to be divided up in the pharmacy so that each patient could be charged appropriately for only their share.

sevoflurane

Ride
15+ Year Member
Jul 16, 2003
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
Many institutions have policies that prohibit using a single vial on more than 1 patient because each patient gets charged for the whole vial and it would amount to insurance fraud. It would probably need to be divided up in the pharmacy so that each patient could be charged appropriately for only their share.
That's what we do. 10, 20, 40 mcg 10cc syringes are available to us courtesy of pharmacy.

Jay K

nullum gratuitum prandium
10+ Year Member
Nov 11, 2008
ハードボイルド・ ワンダーランド
Status
Attending Physician
Nice suggestion - I wonder if our hospital pharmacy directors would be amenable to this recommendation.

Currently we also happen to be short of ketamine. This would also be a good way to extend/maximize our supplies.

fakin' the funk

ASA Member
10+ Year Member
Aug 23, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
I typically work in 2 mcg/kg dexmedetomidine gradually over the course of the case. I think it works quite well and the kids wake up comfortable and typically need little if any narcotic in PACU. Of course, they sleep for a while in PACU with this dose.
Sweet DFA79 avatar bro. I miss those guys, I coulda gone for like one more LP before they broke up. Saw them live once, it was just bonkers.

granolabar2

ASA Member
10+ Year Member
Dec 22, 2006
Status
Attending Physician
those who have used it, I was wondering, Does the dex work better for preventing emergence delerium than other commonly used methods? (i.e. High dose narcotics in teens titrated to rr of 6-8; or a bolus of propofol after extubation in younger kids if they wake up wild) Is anyone using the dex instead of these other methods because they feel it is safer (less resp depression?) Does the skill level of the pacu nurses affect how likely you are to use dex instead of high dose narcotics or a dose of propofol on extubation? (both of which are used frequently at my institution without complications, but maybe it is a luxury in a place with excellent pacu nurses, as well enough ORs running that we almost always have an attending who can leave the resident during a non-critical part of the case and run to the pacu if needed? Maybe the high dose narcotic/propofol on emergence strategy would not be feasible if I were the only anesthesiologist at a surgery center doing 12 tonsils a day? Maybe in that case the dex would be cost effective?)

bluewater

Cardiac Anesthesiologist
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 16, 2006
Status
Attending Physician
0.25 mcgs/kg given 5-10 mins before wakeup