Dexterity concerns

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Golddanboy

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For whatever reason i never learned how to properly draw and i figured that many of the skills needed for dentistry could be closely related to drawing ability. I was wondering if there were others who had similar concerns but over came this challenge though dental school.

I never really had a problem in other dexterity related activities (such as guitar, fencing, lock picking ....). Perhaps there are exercises i could practice to get a leg up on this.

Members don't see this ad.

i wonder if they ever have items that call people out on their dexterity skills. i hope they have an electric guitar hidden in the room. i'd play the crazytrain solo:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
i wonder if they ever have items that call people out on their dexterity skills. i hope they have an electric guitar hidden in the room. i'd play the crazytrain solo:thumbup:

I would go with Classical gas all the way!! I sometimes wonder if the only reason i memorized that song was becuase it sounded liked medieval diarrhea. Although I foresee them giving out of tune guitars just to see the reactions.

For whatever reason i never learned how to properly draw and i figured that many of the skills needed for dentistry could be closely related to drawing ability. I was wondering if there were others who had similar concerns but over came this challenge though dental school.

I never really had a problem in other dexterity related activities (such as guitar, fencing, lock picking ....). Perhaps there are exercises i could practice to get a leg up on this.

I have another type of concern. I am a lefty trained to write with right hand. I remember that at some interviews I was asked if I am lefty or not. I answered no but my fear is that I'll find out I can't hold a high-speed or pull a tooth with my right hand :confused: . I don't know. I literally do half things with my left hand and the other half with my right. Like I can only hold chopsticks with my right hand, but I can only brush my teeth with my left hand. I never know which hand is capable of what unless I try both.

So my questions are: do schools have a limited number of units for lefty people? Are the instruments for lefties different from the regular ones? Or am I just worrying too much :eek: ?

I would say dentistry is closeer to sculpture than to drawing...Im absolutly terrible at drawing, but I love scuplture...and I can cut a pretty good prep (for not ever being in D-school at least...and its on a typodont but same thing).

If you have the dexterity to play the guitar, you'll be fine.

And to the lefty, most tools are not specific to your handedness. You may just have to find a lefty assistant, that's all.

yeah dont worry..i am one person too who fears of my dexterity skills...but i plan on just working hard

I have another type of concern. I am a lefty trained to write with right hand. I remember that at some interviews I was asked if I am lefty or not. I answered no but my fear is that I'll find out I can't hold a high-speed or pull a tooth with my right hand :confused: . I don't know. I literally do half things with my left hand and the other half with my right. Like I can only hold chopsticks with my right hand, but I can only brush my teeth with my left hand. I never know which hand is capable of what unless I try both.

So my questions are: do schools have a limited number of units for lefty people? Are the instruments for lefties different from the regular ones? Or am I just worrying too much :eek: ?

Hehe that's so funny. I'm just like that. I thought I was the only weird one. I never know what to say when people ask which hand I use.

lefty, righty, doesn't matter. There's a handful of lefties in our class, and our Operatives professor is lefty.

lefty, righty, doesn't matter. There's a handful of lefties in our class, and our Operatives professor is lefty.

Whew, I was starting to get worried there...I am about as left-handed as you can get; don't do anything with my right.

I dont htink my dexterity skills are great at all. But I know plenty of dentists who made it through with terrible hands at the start of D school. There is always oral surgery!

well i improved my dexterity by doing certain... things... with my fingers... if you know what i mean... i think you do. i play the bass. jeez, what'd you people think i meant? dirty, dirty, dirty... :D