Golddanboy

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 15, 2005
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
For whatever reason i never learned how to properly draw and i figured that many of the skills needed for dentistry could be closely related to drawing ability. I was wondering if there were others who had similar concerns but over came this challenge though dental school.

I never really had a problem in other dexterity related activities (such as guitar, fencing, lock picking ....). Perhaps there are exercises i could practice to get a leg up on this.

slashnroses19

10+ Year Member
Sep 4, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
i wonder if they ever have items that call people out on their dexterity skills. i hope they have an electric guitar hidden in the room. i'd play the crazytrain solo:thumbup:

About the Ads

Golddanboy

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 15, 2005
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
i wonder if they ever have items that call people out on their dexterity skills. i hope they have an electric guitar hidden in the room. i'd play the crazytrain solo:thumbup:

I would go with Classical gas all the way!! I sometimes wonder if the only reason i memorized that song was becuase it sounded liked medieval diarrhea. Although I foresee them giving out of tune guitars just to see the reactions.

icepinkish

O! teeeeeth~
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 5, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
For whatever reason i never learned how to properly draw and i figured that many of the skills needed for dentistry could be closely related to drawing ability. I was wondering if there were others who had similar concerns but over came this challenge though dental school.

I never really had a problem in other dexterity related activities (such as guitar, fencing, lock picking ....). Perhaps there are exercises i could practice to get a leg up on this.

I have another type of concern. I am a lefty trained to write with right hand. I remember that at some interviews I was asked if I am lefty or not. I answered no but my fear is that I'll find out I can't hold a high-speed or pull a tooth with my right hand :confused: . I don't know. I literally do half things with my left hand and the other half with my right. Like I can only hold chopsticks with my right hand, but I can only brush my teeth with my left hand. I never know which hand is capable of what unless I try both.

So my questions are: do schools have a limited number of units for lefty people? Are the instruments for lefties different from the regular ones? Or am I just worrying too much :eek: ?

cdmOMR

10+ Year Member
Dec 8, 2005
FL
Status (Visible)
  1. Dentist
I would say dentistry is closeer to sculpture than to drawing...Im absolutly terrible at drawing, but I love scuplture...and I can cut a pretty good prep (for not ever being in D-school at least...and its on a typodont but same thing).

Fuji

10+ Year Member
Sep 1, 2006
Status (Visible)
If you have the dexterity to play the guitar, you'll be fine.

And to the lefty, most tools are not specific to your handedness. You may just have to find a lefty assistant, that's all.

mshopeful

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 12, 2006
Status (Visible)
I have another type of concern. I am a lefty trained to write with right hand. I remember that at some interviews I was asked if I am lefty or not. I answered no but my fear is that I'll find out I can't hold a high-speed or pull a tooth with my right hand :confused: . I don't know. I literally do half things with my left hand and the other half with my right. Like I can only hold chopsticks with my right hand, but I can only brush my teeth with my left hand. I never know which hand is capable of what unless I try both.

So my questions are: do schools have a limited number of units for lefty people? Are the instruments for lefties different from the regular ones? Or am I just worrying too much :eek: ?

Hehe that's so funny. I'm just like that. I thought I was the only weird one. I never know what to say when people ask which hand I use.

INFNITE

mmm....doughnut
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 12, 2005
NY
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student

lefty, righty, doesn't matter. There's a handful of lefties in our class, and our Operatives professor is lefty.

ice4804

Let the fun begin...
10+ Year Member
Jan 20, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
lefty, righty, doesn't matter. There's a handful of lefties in our class, and our Operatives professor is lefty.

Whew, I was starting to get worried there...I am about as left-handed as you can get; don't do anything with my right.

Ething

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 3, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
I dont htink my dexterity skills are great at all. But I know plenty of dentists who made it through with terrible hands at the start of D school. There is always oral surgery!

t man

Epoxi-Lips
10+ Year Member
Nov 3, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
well i improved my dexterity by doing certain... things... with my fingers... if you know what i mean... i think you do. i play the bass. jeez, what'd you people think i meant? dirty, dirty, dirty... :D

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.