DFV 2.5 for 3.5 expanded view??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

haisha ni narou

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know there are some loupe threads out there but I'm starting another one..... I have the DFV 2.5x and was thinking of boosting up the magnification a notch to the DFV 3.5x expanded field telescopes. Anyone do this move? I'd stick with DFV so I'm curious to hear feedback from those who have changed from the 2.5x to the 3.5x. I'll be starting my second year in the Fall. I remember Armorshell saying something about prisms a while back????

Realistically I'll probably take my loupes to the next convention and find the DFV booth and compare and contrasts depth of field etc before make my choice but your input is appreciated. I'm interested to get your take on the difference between the two clinically. thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I started with standard DFV 3.5x and couldn't be happier. I've never tried the EFs but I've also never wished I had an expanded field. I can see more than enough with the standards.

Nice thing is, DFV will do you right. Top notch CS. If you don't like it, they'll take it back.

Members don't see this ad :)
I havent browsed SDN in almost 1 year! Wow time flies!

Anyhow...do youself a favor and buy the 4.5x EF with light. The best purchase I have made in my short career. They will change the way you see things, no pun intended.

I havent browsed SDN in almost 1 year! Wow time flies!

Anyhow...do youself a favor and buy the 4.5x EF with light. The best purchase I have made in my short career. They will change the way you see things, no pun intended.

I have been using the 3.5x EF for the past few weeks now. Been pretty impressed with the optics, but not so giddy about the weight (they are quite heavy and not the most comfortable as compared to some others).

While taking an exam yesterday, I kept wanting a more magnified view, and the 4.5x did cross my mind. If I am already comfortable with 3.5 what would be the drawbacks of upping the mag? I know I will only be able to see one arch at a time (with the expanded field), and they may be even heavier, but are there any other drawbacks that I am not aware of yet (since we've only been working on one tooth at a time so far in our first operative class)?