Diagnostic Exam for step 2?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Peeshee

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
are there any diagnostic exams avail.for step 2 CK, such as Kaplan (without taking a course)? I'd really appreciate your help in this.
thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Peeshee said:
Hello,
are there any diagnostic exams avail.for step 2 CK, such as Kaplan (without taking a course)? I'd really appreciate your help in this.
thanks!

The NBME has a web based exam that provides you with an approximate USMLE score. They are $45 each (4 blocks of questions), and are generally pretty good at predicting scores. It also gives you a break down of strong and weak areas if you want to use it to direct your studies. I thought it was worth the $.

KerleyB said:
The NBME has a web based exam that provides you with an approximate USMLE score. They are $45 each (4 blocks of questions), and are generally pretty good at predicting scores. It also gives you a break down of strong and weak areas if you want to use it to direct your studies. I thought it was worth the $.

Do you have any idea about how much can you improve in about 4 weeks of dedicated studying?

Do your shelf exam scores pretty much approximate your Step 2 performance?

ZigZag said:
Do you have any idea about how much can you improve in about 4 weeks of dedicated studying?

Do your shelf exam scores pretty much approximate your Step 2 performance?

If you studied for four weeks, without other responsibilities, my guess is that you would be VERY pleased with your score. From my experience, and other anectodal stuff, about a week of study ensures that you'll pass, and anything beyond probably boosts the score progressively. Obviously, the knowledge base you start with contributes a lot too, but generally, I think the above is true.

Shelf scores and Step 2 scores? No doubt, step 2 tests third year knowledge, but correlating the two is difficult at best. Surgery, and Medicine are clearly the best, albeit unreliable predictors. I think that you can expect that if you were consisitently above or below the mean on the shelf exams, you would probably be in a similar position on step 2... but I know that isnt really helpful. Most of my classmates do slightly better on step 2 vs step1 with much less effort, so that may be the most useful for you.

Bottom line, if a big step 2 is important to you.... four weeks of hardcore review, in my opinion, would serve you very well. Good luck!