Step I Diagnostic Tests as Baselines vs. Predictors

Started by deleted645092
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

D

deleted645092

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am looking for some advice regarding what I should think of the following scores regarding diagnostic exams that I have taken over the past few months while prepping for Step 1 and Level 1.

January: Kaplan Step 1 Diagnostic Exam: 55% (hadn't started 2nd semester yet).

March: Truelearn COMBANK Level 1 Self Assessment #1: 70.0%, 63rd percentile -> 546-547 predicted.

April: NBME Step 1 Self-Assessment Form 13: 82.5% -> 460 NBME score, 219 converted score -> ~31st percentile.

UWorld: 601 completed, currently on first pass, 63.5% correct, completely random.

The confusion I am having with these numbers is that the first 2 have put me at the top 5 in my class for each of these diagnostics (part of our mandatory Level 1 prep), and the Truelearn assessment claims that the predicted percentile was based on data from students taking their tests 1 month before COMLEX, however my percentile dropped so much on the NBME Form 13 (I understand that the percentiles are for different tests, but should I really drop that much between the 2?). Can anyone provide me with insight about what these might mean, and what I should do from here? All that I can think of is that Step 1 is either that much harder than Level 1, the percentiles are fudged for COMLEX, or I should just interpret the Step 1 and Level 1 information independently, and use the 219 as a baseline over the next 3 months while I ramp up into dedicated time. I currently plan on taking the UWorld SIM 1 at the beginning of May, SIM 2 at the beginning of June, and at least 1 NBME the week before Step 1 in July.
 
NBME's usually predict your USMLE score within +/- 5 of actual once you're doing studying.

I've never had anybody remark that COMBANK predicted anything close to their actual COMLEX score. The company has a very bad reputation among our students.


Thank you, that's what I had thought, especially with such a drastic change in the absolute score required to meet a certain percentile between COMBANK and NBME 13. (Lower absolute score = higher percentile? Yea right)