Did a radiology elective at my school and the faculty said I had very good work ethic , but they won't give me a letter

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MA5568

Reaction score
So basically I bombed Step 1. This wasn't a "slack off and hope for the best", it was a study very hard and get way lower than all practice tests, but no excuses in the end, I own up to it. I ended up with a 208. Step 2 I got a 245. I didn't honor any clerkship. Just high passed them all. From what I understand, some schools barely honor anyone, and that's kind of what my school does, but I guess there's no way of showing that. So my dream has always been radiology. And obviously after my step scores it's an uphill climb. I did a month long rotation with a doctor that is the head of our department, and also worked here and there with other doctors. Obviously I am not amazing at reading scans, but I showed up early, left late ( I was the only one on the rotation), and tried to prove that I had good work ethic. The head of our department was very pleased, and he said he would make calls and go to bat for me. I was super excited, but then he asked for my CV, and my Step score was on there. He said that getting letters for residencies were contingent on step scores, so no one in the department will write one for me.

So this happened a while back, but I ended up getting letters from other doctors. I had 2 internal med doctors also turn me down based on score ( I specifically asked if it was anything else and they were just like " no you're a great candidate but your score is bad" . I feel like the dumbest human in existence for getting a score that bad, and I almost don't even want to be a doctor.

But can someone explain this? So basically I am probably going to have a tough time regardless even getting interviews based on my step score, but programs see the step score, it's not like they have no clue. So why is it that even getting a letter depends on the score? Isn't the letter on what the doctor saw when you were working with them?Like dedication, enthusiasm, ability to take criticism, etc? If I had known this was the policy, I never would have spent a month on the rotation. I guess I'm upset that not only is my step score screwing me for interviews, it's also screwed me for a letter, and the letter writer was able to look past step 2, clerkships, research, my rotation, etc and just see step 1.

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry you are going through this. This is rough.

I would arrange to meet with him. Just be very real and upfront with him - tell him that it is your dream to be a radiologist. Acknowledge that your step score held you back. But say that you want to give it a shot anyway. The core exam is difficult and step 1 is predictive of your performance on that, no PD wants someone who may fail it. But, you have shown good clerkship performances and have turned around on step 2. That has to count for something. If you want, share with him your clerkship shelf scores.

Also, for your own good, have a contingency plan in place. dual apply. And apply broadly.

Do not let your step score dishearten you. Plenty of people FAIL step 1.

Honestly shocked they won't write you a letter. What type of institution? MD, do, Carib?

So basically I bombed Step 1. This wasn't a "slack off and hope for the best", it was a study very hard and get way lower than all practice tests, but no excuses in the end, I own up to it. I ended up with a 208. Step 2 I got a 245. I didn't honor any clerkship. Just high passed them all. From what I understand, some schools barely honor anyone, and that's kind of what my school does, but I guess there's no way of showing that. So my dream has always been radiology. And obviously after my step scores it's an uphill climb. I did a month long rotation with a doctor that is the head of our department, and also worked here and there with other doctors. Obviously I am not amazing at reading scans, but I showed up early, left late ( I was the only one on the rotation), and tried to prove that I had good work ethic. The head of our department was very pleased, and he said he would make calls and go to bat for me. I was super excited, but then he asked for my CV, and my Step score was on there. He said that getting letters for residencies were contingent on step scores, so no one in the department will write one for me.

So this happened a while back, but I ended up getting letters from other doctors. I had 2 internal med doctors also turn me down based on score ( I specifically asked if it was anything else and they were just like " no you're a great candidate but your score is bad" . I feel like the dumbest human in existence for getting a score that bad, and I almost don't even want to be a doctor.

But can someone explain this? So basically I am probably going to have a tough time regardless even getting interviews based on my step score, but programs see the step score, it's not like they have no clue. So why is it that even getting a letter depends on the score? Isn't the letter on what the doctor saw when you were working with them?Like dedication, enthusiasm, ability to take criticism, etc? If I had known this was the policy, I never would have spent a month on the rotation. I guess I'm upset that not only is my step score screwing me for interviews, it's also screwed me for a letter, and the letter writer was able to look past step 2, clerkships, research, my rotation, etc and just see step 1.
Don’t pursue a letter From him any longer. Use the letters you have. Apply to every program in the country if you don’t get in reapply next year.