EEL08

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 13, 2006
AZ
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
I'm sure if you did it would be a great problem to have. I doubt this would happen to me and my husband but I wanted to ask just in case. If you got more interview offers than you expected, did you go to all of them? What if you can only afford to go to so many, do you just decide which schools are farther down on your list and withdraw or suck it up and go to all of them? My husband and I will be applying this summer to 16-17 schools (depending on if any new schools are added this cycle). We haven't calculated how many interviews we could potentially afford to go on. We would just love to interview and be accepted at the same school obviously. Has anyone had to withdraw from any schools after being offered interviews?

NickRiviera

MS-Never
10+ Year Member
Feb 2, 2007
Springfield, IL
Status (Visible)
I'm sure if you did it would be a great problem to have. I doubt this would happen to me and my husband but I wanted to ask just in case. If you got more interview offers than you expected, did you go to all of them? What if you can only afford to go to so many, do you just decide which schools are farther down on your list and withdraw or suck it up and go to all of them? My husband and I will be applying this summer to 16-17 schools (depending on if any new schools are added this cycle). We haven't calculated how many interviews we could potentially afford to go on. We would just love to interview and be accepted at the same school obviously. Has anyone had to withdraw from any schools after being offered interviews?

There are a few active threads right now on the cost topic, so try searching around. Most posts I've seen on this say go to all of them as the cost is nothing compared to what school will be.

an1s

10+ Year Member
Apr 25, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
I would differ with conventional wisdom. I withdrew from 2 schools that I'd scheduled interviews with after getting a couple of acceptances because of the cost, first, and because I was fairly certain that there were a few turn-offs associated with each that weren't a problem at the ones I'd been accepted to. Feel free to PM if you want specifics and good luck!

About the Ads

musiclink213

My room is a mess
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 20, 2003
New York
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
I cancelled a few interviews after being accepted. I say go on all of them until you get an acceptance. Also, if you mention ot the school that you and your husband would like ot go to school together, some schools might be more welcoming of this and offer you both acceptances since you would both be more likely to attend if you go to school together. At least, that's what my friend told me and then proceeded to try to convince me we should tell the school we were engaged so they would accept me at the school he goes to. He wasn't being serious about it though/.

Krisss17

10+ Year Member
Feb 3, 2007
In btwn here and there!
Status (Visible)
  1. Other Health Professions Student

I think that if you felt confident about your acceptance into medical schools due to having a competitive GPA/MCAT, I would probably not apply to that many schools. Otherwise I would suggest that you sent up a special account just for interview-related costs.

Just my 2 cents!
Krisss17

bigdog8829

10+ Year Member
Jan 16, 2007
Illinois
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
kriss hit it on the dot. applying to 16/17 schools is ALOT (if you're talking only d.o.) I only applied to 3.
It all depends on how comfortable you feel with your stats.

EEL08

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 13, 2006
AZ
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
The reason we plan on applying to so many is because we know that it's hard enough to get into med school without trying to get both of us into the same one. I think my husband's GPA is slightly above mine but my science GPA is barely over 3.0 and I haven't taken the MCAT yet so I don't feel confident in my stats at this point.

P

pineapple

I'd say apply to as many schools as you feel you need to. Don't let others decide for you! You'll feel better about it if you just go with your gut.

Then play the interviews as you get them. You'll probably do one or two before you get an acceptance, and then after that you can decide based on who offers you an interview if you think it could compare with the acceptance you already have!

In my situation:

Nov:
interview at LECOM-B and LECOM-E

Dec:
interview at UMDNJ
next day got accepted to LECOM-B and LECOM-E

Jan:
got an offer for an interview at WVSOM

At that point I could look at it and say, "Hey, WVSOM costs twice as much, is the exact same distance away, and is not that much better than LECOM that it would be worth $20K/yr difference. If I got accepted, I'd probably go for LECOM-E anyway, so might as well not interview [esp. since it's on Valentine's Day when I really don't want to be in a cheap hotel]."

If I had the chance to travel back in time and tell myself 12 months ago that I'd be turning down an interview with my stats (3.5/24) I'd punch myself in the gut for being unrealistic. :laugh:

Crapshoot.

Good luck! :luck: :luck: :luck:

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.