did anyone consider osteopathy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

saxonmacleod

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
It's still early in my pre-med school days, but I've been giving consideration to the whole MD vs DO question, and I'm wondering if any of you considered osteopathic medicine...and if so, why did you ultimately decide on the MD? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Can you give an overview of the UK system or offer a good source on it? I've looked into it a bit but would like more info. I had a prof who use to practice there for a short time and said it was a frustrating system as well because of shortages of equipment etc...

Ya, I considered it very seriously. I guess I look at manipulation as another tool to help my patients. I shadowed a DO (one of a few in MT so he was very busy!) who I really admire and think I'll take a lot of him and his technique with me even in allopathic school. I've read that DO's prescribe less narcotics to their patients and have a more holistic approach to medicine.

When it came down to applying, with the mess of AMCAS, I didn't have the time nor money to fill out more applications and my finances are seriously hurting, so I didn't apply. My top schools were also allopathic with WHICHI, WWAMI, and a couple of privates. I've shadowed MD's who use massage/manipulation-like techniques in their practice as well and try to promote the health of the whole individual; so I feel like even without going through the training, I can become the physician I want to be. I also think that there are electives in medical school for manipulation...

You should consider both and shadow/talk with DOs and MDs to see where you feel you would fit the best. I have friends in both allo and osteo schools who are loving where they are at.
Good luck to you! :)

the primary reason I did NOT choose DO was my desire to be in academic medicine. It would be much harder to climb the academic ladder at allopathic schools with a DO than an MD. Of course the research experience and being part of a greater undergrad institution helps too.
Had I desire only for clinical practice, I would be applying DO for sure. My roomate is going to do so next year and he will be a great physician one day.