Did anyone do an away rotation at MGH?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Soon2BENT

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
would love to hear opinions if they are out there

Members don't see this ad.

one of my good buds is a CA-1. I'll ask him what he thinks so far. I think he's getting hammered cuz he's not calling me back this past week.

I did an away last year at MGH. Basically, the comments made about this program in other threads are accurate. Incredible hospital with an insane labyrinth of OR's performing very complicated cases on a daily basis. The staff are top-notch and highly motivated. There are a myriad number of reasons to be at MGH, and it mostly comes down to whether or not you feel like you would fit well into such an environment.

Regarding the away rotation specifically, I worked 5 days a week typically from 6:30am to whenever, taking optional Q-I-forget overnight call. I personally spent a couple nights on the floor of their library because all of the other on-call residents were female with no additional call rooms. The month is tailored to your interests- I spent time in Ortho, Vascular, Neurosurg, OB/GYN, Gensurg, and Same-day surgery. The residents and attendings are great teachers and involve you as much as possible.