Did anyone else find Cell and Molecular Biology extremely difficult??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jmcunnin

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a post-bacc student. I started my prereqs a few semesters ago. So far I've taken 10 prereqs, and I have earned 8 A's and 2 B's. I'd like to think that was a pretty decent start for not having taken any science classes in approximately 6 years or so. I'm currently registered in Orgo Chem 2 and Cell and Molec. I have an A in Orgo 2, but I am struggling in Cell and Molec. My question is...is that class difficult for most people?? I definitely find I do better in Chemistry classes, but I did make an A in Microbiology. I don't know I guess I'm feeling a little down and out, and was just looking for some encouragement!

Members don't see this ad.

What does your class focus on (organelle function, cell signaling, DNA replication/modification)? A lot of it is memorization, but there is a lot of flow-chart concepts too (similar to Orgo).

What does your class focus on (organelle function, cell signaling, DNA replication/modification)? A lot of it is memorization, but there is a lot of flow-chart concepts too (similar to Orgo).

Currently we are mainly focusing on DNA replication, transcription, translation. I've heard it's a lot of memorization, and that's the thing...I'm pretty good at memorizing. Didn't work out on the first test though. We have our 2nd test on Thursday. For what it's worth, a lot of others in the class are feeling the same way as me from what I hear. So I don't know if it's just the way the class is being taught, or if it's just a really tough class in general.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think the curriculum and testing methods can vary from professor to professor. Khan Academy I'm sure has something on those subjects - maybe those will help.

I am currently taking cellular and molecular and I find it somewhat challenging. I spend quite a bit of time studying and it usually clicks come test time. Just like you, I am also more of a chemistry person, but I find cell/molec to be pretty interesting which helps me do better in the course.

I'm taking Cell and Molecular Biology right now. You have a lot to remember, however they are similar in multiple chapters which make them easy to study together.

have you tried youtube for videos or khan academy? I'm more of a visual learner and those videos really made it easier for me to understand.

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. I'll definitely check out youtube and khan academy. Our 2nd test is Thursday so I'll let you guys know how it goes.

I did not take Molecular Bio, but I did take Cell Biology and thought it was very easy, but my professor was so helpful and gave so many practice questions that ended up on exams.

Reactions: 1 user
Just think if everyone does bad, there will be a curve in which case you'll do just fine. Keep your head up and good luck!

It's lots of cellular pathways, and lots of memorization - but if oyu can manage that, its actually not that bad as there's no real critical thinking (at least in my class). Just regurgitation of what you learned

What really helped me in cell and molecular bio (because I had a hard time too, memorization isn't my strength) is to create a story out of the processes and give them nicknames. I would then sketch out the process on paper and talk to myself as I drew the pathway of what was happening and why it was happening, they were ugly pictures but I could understand what the idea behind the sketches were. I'd start off reading about what we were supposed to learn at least twice, the first just reading through it to get an idea, and the second time I highlighted and took notes. Then I'd watch a bunch of YouTube videos so I could see what was actually happening, and then I broke it up into my own story like the life of a protein, from starting in the DNA all the way through translation, creating mini-stories for the transcription and translation parts. I'd ask myself questions like "what would happen if I changed this, or if this part didn't work?". It worked pretty well up to biochemistry where everything is just a bunch of molecules with weird names, at that point I just drew the pathway until I had it in muscle memory. Hope the test today went well!

Reactions: 1 users
What really helped me in cell and molecular bio (because I had a hard time too, memorization isn't my strength) is to create a story out of the processes and give them nicknames. I would then sketch out the process on paper and talk to myself as I drew the pathway of what was happening and why it was happening, they were ugly pictures but I could understand what the idea behind the sketches were. I'd start off reading about what we were supposed to learn at least twice, the first just reading through it to get an idea, and the second time I highlighted and took notes. Then I'd watch a bunch of YouTube videos so I could see what was actually happening, and then I broke it up into my own story like the life of a protein, from starting in the DNA all the way through translation, creating mini-stories for the transcription and translation parts. I'd ask myself questions like "what would happen if I changed this, or if this part didn't work?". It worked pretty well up to biochemistry where everything is just a bunch of molecules with weird names, at that point I just drew the pathway until I had it in muscle memory. Hope the test today went well!
That's similar to what people who are in memory championships do. They create a scene where they're walking, and then assign each item (or step) that they need to memorize as a person or thing. As they're walking (in their mind) they see these things, and that stimulates the connection so that they can remember the actual item they wanted to memorize.

Thanks again for all of the suggestions. Unfortunately, I did not do well on the test today. Several people I know did not do well either so I'm assuming the class average will be low again. Class average on the 1st test was a D. So I've crunched some numbers and I can still make a C in the class, even a B but that might be a reach. So my question is...should I stick it out? I really don't want another W on my report. I have 6 W's from about 7-8 years ago in undergrad. But then again, I don't want to ruin my GPA either. So frustrating being in this situation, but I appreciate all the encouragement and suggestions.

Often when class averages are really low for a midterm, the final will tend to be easier to put the overall average at a desired level. Personally, if I had a history of W's, I would stick it out in the class

I'd take a W over a C any day of the week even with 100 previous W's.

Often when class averages are really low for a midterm, the final will tend to be easier to put the overall average at a desired level. Personally, if I had a history of W's, I would stick it out in the class

That was my thought process also...it's a tough decision. I wouldn't even know how to explain a W that I received in post bacc if admissions asked..and you know they will.

I'd take a W over a C any day of the week even with 100 previous W's.

How would you explain it to dental school admissions when they ask? Drop date is the 14th so I'm still considering it...