Did anyone here...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Yoyomama88

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
X

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
what scores are we talking about here. if you went from a 30 to a 28 then it might not be such a big deal but if you dropped from 30 to say 25 then you might have reason to be concerned.

This will get moved to pre-allo... but there ARE schools out there that only look at your best MCAT score, or form a best composite score (best PS + best VR + best BS). A simple SDN search should find the info you're looking for.

Members don't see this ad :)
my drop was bad 31 to a 26....

Why did you feel the need to retake after getting a 31? If you were aiming for the sorts of schools that average a 35 MCAT or so, then I'd imagine that 26 would be a shot in the foot...

get into med school after doing worse on an MCAT retake...I scored well and did significantly worse on my retake and now i'm trying to assess how badly I shot myself in the foot.
if u scored well, why did u retake?

my drop was bad 31 to a 26....

OP, I think this would be bad...a 5 point drop is significant, and a lot of schools seem to focus on the most recent MCAT. I think U of Wisconsin does a composite, but a lot of schools sort of look at the general trend--can't think of a list right now but a list of school's policies has been compiled sometime so definitely search for it. There's not too much you can do about it though, and if I were you I would be optimistic and apply as though I had a 31.

I guess that this is a reminder to everyone though that the average person who retakes the MCAT does worse.

well, i took the test without having my 1st score back, and because I left out a lot of questions on the first test, I figured I didnt do that well. I made the decision to take the test a month later because I wouldnt have to study over again and I had already made the decision to apply last year by that time and taking a later test date wouldnt have helped me for that cycle...The test scores were supposed to come the day before I took it the second time, but aamc delayed them....i had already studied an extra month up until that point and I figured there was no way I could do worse with all that extra studying....bad move..i feel really ****ty about it...but i guess theres nothing I can do but try and improve my app. and take the MCAT again if i have to... by the way i should mention that I took the MCAT 3 times...within a period of 4 months. 25,31,26...so that should paint a clearer picture and also prob. show that im more screwed than if I had taken it only twice.

This really doesn't look good on your part OP. A lot of medical schools look at the latest MCAT score or your most recent MCAT results. If you were to average out your MCAT scores, you'd have a 27. Depending on your GPA, you may be borderline competitive at allopathic schools. I would look at applying at schools that accept only the highest scores on the MCAT(these are listed in the MSAR) and definitely consider DO schools. As for the MCAT, you definitely shot yourself in the foot by retaking the MCAT without knowing your score since a 31 is decent enough already (couldn't you have moved the exam date back by just a week or two?). This is a pretty big miscalculation on your part especially since most schools frown upon retaking the MCAT more than twice. But you probably already knew that.

Man, I should applied to those schools that take composites. Ive been prepping for the MCAT again, been getting 31-32s, but Im getting screwed on the bio, which was my best sect the last time. Ive been getting 12-14 on PS, 10-12 on VS, but 6-9(i got lucky on that one since it has so much ochem) on the BS. I totally forgot all that stuff after two years. Hopefully, I figure schools would understand that you forget most of that stuff after a while.

by the way i should mention that I took the MCAT 3 times...within a period of 4 months.

You need to go sit in the corner for awhile and think about what you did.

I wish I could make you feel better, but taking the MCAT three times in four months is utterly bat**** crazy. Fortunately, you don't really have much of a choice to make. The only thing worse would be taking it again in the near future. Apply and see what happens.

Oh, and in the future, you should probably proceed with a little more ponderous deliberation.

wow, i feel like crying, nothing I can do, but hate my dad for the rest of my life for forcing to apply last year...what an *******. I didnt want to apply b/c i wanted a year off anyways...he's a super aggressive person.. wow sorry for the venting, but i need to get it out somewhere i guess. oh well.

Sorry that you're in this situation right now. I know how hard it must be to come to terms with this. I think this is why parental involvement can easily get out of hand. You need to be assertive the next time your dad insists on doing something stupid like this. He probably thought that the MCAT was a zero-sum game where you can retake it as many times as you want and the schools will only consider the highest score (this is definitely not the case at most medical schools nowadays). In the future, you might want to have a talk with your dad and ask him to pull back a little. I can think of several disastruous scenarios that might unfold if he keeps being involved in the application process (i.e. him calling up the medical schools and arguing with the admissions committee if you get rejected or waitlisted).