SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Did anyone not count Astronomy as BCPM?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by DreamyKid, May 26, 2008.

1. DreamyKid

DreamyKid 10+ Year Member

Feb 3, 2007
    My astronomy class was offered under the astronomy department, and was basically about memorizing stars. Did anyone not list astronomy 1 under physics (BCPM) and turned out okay?

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. da me ka don

da me ka don Not in your P.I.'s lab! 10+ Year Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Even if you list it as BPCM, it will get reviewed by AMCAS staff, and if it is not it will get tossed out. I had a very difficult science class too, - psychopharmacology, and listed it as BPCM, but becos it was offered by the psychology department it was put under the category of non-science courses. I think social science or so, I can hardly recall.

But I don't know if astronomy is BPCM or not. I think it is.
    Is that not the PS all the english and psych majors take to avoid physics and chemistry?:p
  4. Squiddie

Squiddie Watch out for the cactus 2+ Year Member

May 21, 2008

You'll have to check with the requirements of individual schools, but I know that many schools I've been looking at exclude Astronomy from BCPM.
  5. engineeredout

engineeredout 7+ Year Member

May 11, 2008
    IMO the worst thing that they exclude from BCPM is/are engineering classes. Especially chemical engineering classes. You trying to tell me thats not science, or doesn't have a strong physics/chemistry/math background? Even bio, theres been more bio in my chem eng lab then I've encountered in the last two years.

Ass holes.
  6. bjolly

bjolly Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Jan 14, 2003
    I listed astronomy as non BCPM, and AMCAS moved it to BCPM. Like yours it was under the astronomy dept and not the physics dept. I wouldn't sweat it - list it where you think it makes sense and if they don't agree they'll change it.

Didn't know that about engineering courses - that's ridiculous not to count those as science.
  7. bodonid

bodonid Dr. Spaceman 5+ Year Member

Jul 18, 2007
    Astronomy IS a BCPM course, and AMCAS always counts it as so. I don't see how it would be different for different schools; all any school gets is what AMCAS gives them. If you list it as non-BCPM, it will be changed to BCPM. End of story.
  8. fireflygirl

fireflygirl The Ultimate Blindian 7+ Year Member

Jul 17, 2007
    My anatomy class was automatically counted towards my BCPM. I think it is considered a physics class under AMCAS rules.
  9. JRock310

JRock310 2+ Year Member

May 12, 2008
    MA warning you, this is a really dumb question, but as i said before in other posts, having a "pre-med" program is new to my school, and my advisor is pretty useless, so...

your BCPM...i assume stands for biology/chemistry/physics/math.

im a biotech major. i have taken other biology classes other than just standard bio I and II for pre-reqs...have taken cell and molecular bio, microbiology, anatomy & physiology I and II, as well as other biology/biotechnology classes for my major. do these count as part of my BCPM GPA???
  10. chad5871

chad5871 Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Apr 6, 2006
    Portland, OR
    Yes. All courses taught in the Biology, Chemistry, Physics, or Math departments usually count as BCPM. Classes in other departments (i.e. astronomy, statistics, etc.) MAY count as BCPM if they have a large BCPM portion to their curriculum. When you're looking at AMCAS' coursework section, click on "Help" then go to Coursework Details and Course Classification to see a list of what they consider BCPM.
  11. Raryn

Raryn Infernal Internist / Enigmatic Endocrinologist Physician 7+ Year Member

Apr 25, 2008
    Stats always counts as BCPM, its a math class....
  12. JRock310

JRock310 2+ Year Member

May 12, 2008
    wow, thanks so much, that is really good to know. i listed my BCPM as a 3.52, thinking that was just the average of Bio I and II and Gen Chem I and II. adding in my other science courses will bump me up a ton (i got Bs in gen chem I and II).

i just wonder if my biotechnology classes count...their course listing is BIO331 or whatever it is, so i assume those count, as well? maybe not?
  13. wizenedone

wizenedone Indeed... 2+ Year Member

Apr 9, 2008
    Anatomy?? You mean Astronomy?