Did anyone not count Astronomy as BCPM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DreamyKid

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My astronomy class was offered under the astronomy department, and was basically about memorizing stars. Did anyone not list astronomy 1 under physics (BCPM) and turned out okay?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Even if you list it as BPCM, it will get reviewed by AMCAS staff, and if it is not it will get tossed out. I had a very difficult science class too, - psychopharmacology, and listed it as BPCM, but becos it was offered by the psychology department it was put under the category of non-science courses. I think social science or so, I can hardly recall.

But I don't know if astronomy is BPCM or not. I think it is.
Is that not the PS all the english and psych majors take to avoid physics and chemistry?:p

My astronomy class was offered under the astronomy department, and was basically about memorizing stars. Did anyone not list astronomy 1 under physics (BCPM) and turned out okay?

Thanks!

You'll have to check with the requirements of individual schools, but I know that many schools I've been looking at exclude Astronomy from BCPM.

Members don't see this ad :)
IMO the worst thing that they exclude from BCPM is/are engineering classes. Especially chemical engineering classes. You trying to tell me thats not science, or doesn't have a strong physics/chemistry/math background? Even bio, theres been more bio in my chem eng lab then I've encountered in the last two years.

Ass holes.

I listed astronomy as non BCPM, and AMCAS moved it to BCPM. Like yours it was under the astronomy dept and not the physics dept. I wouldn't sweat it - list it where you think it makes sense and if they don't agree they'll change it.

Didn't know that about engineering courses - that's ridiculous not to count those as science.

Astronomy IS a BCPM course, and AMCAS always counts it as so. I don't see how it would be different for different schools; all any school gets is what AMCAS gives them. If you list it as non-BCPM, it will be changed to BCPM. End of story.

My anatomy class was automatically counted towards my BCPM. I think it is considered a physics class under AMCAS rules.

ok...im warning you, this is a really dumb question, but as i said before in other posts, having a "pre-med" program is new to my school, and my advisor is pretty useless, so...

your BCPM...i assume stands for biology/chemistry/physics/math.

im a biotech major. i have taken other biology classes other than just standard bio I and II for pre-reqs...have taken cell and molecular bio, microbiology, anatomy & physiology I and II, as well as other biology/biotechnology classes for my major. do these count as part of my BCPM GPA???
:confused:

ok...im warning you, this is a really dumb question, but as i said before in other posts, having a "pre-med" program is new to my school, and my advisor is pretty useless, so...

your BCPM...i assume stands for biology/chemistry/physics/math.

im a biotech major. i have taken other biology classes other than just standard bio I and II for pre-reqs...have taken cell and molecular bio, microbiology, anatomy & physiology I and II, as well as other biology/biotechnology classes for my major. do these count as part of my BCPM GPA???
:confused:

Yes. All courses taught in the Biology, Chemistry, Physics, or Math departments usually count as BCPM. Classes in other departments (i.e. astronomy, statistics, etc.) MAY count as BCPM if they have a large BCPM portion to their curriculum. When you're looking at AMCAS' coursework section, click on "Help" then go to Coursework Details and Course Classification to see a list of what they consider BCPM.

wow, thanks so much, that is really good to know. i listed my BCPM as a 3.52, thinking that was just the average of Bio I and II and Gen Chem I and II. adding in my other science courses will bump me up a ton (i got Bs in gen chem I and II).

i just wonder if my biotechnology classes count...their course listing is BIO331 or whatever it is, so i assume those count, as well? maybe not?