Did anyone NOT study for the MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

unregistered

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took the MCAT recently, and since I usually do pretty well on standardized tests, I just decided to go for it without studying. Did anyone else do this? Or did most of you do the Kaplan thing? Or go through the book? What?

Members don't see this ad.

10 10 10
Think we should rethink the studying thing and try it again?

I do not know if you want to risk my time and money with not studying before the test.

Members don't see this ad :)
actually i began cramming for it starting january so i didnt do terribly well, just a lil above avg. so yea, studying will pay off.

why wouldnt you want to take the MCAT seriously? it boggles my mind if you are serious about getting into medical school.
its as important as your undergraduate gpa, why comprimise your success because you feel like you are "gifted" at standardized tests? If you are that gifted, why not blow the test out of the water and get a 36+ and get offers at big names schools?
The MCAT is extremely important since it is the only thing they have to compare you fairly to all other applicants. The same thing goes with the boards. the highest score will only help you.

To the starter of the post,

Why ask such a stupid question? Seriously, get a life!

I had planned to take the MCATs in the summer after my sophomore year without studying and before finishing all my pre-med requirements. I was then going to take a Princeton Review or Kaplan class and study a lot to take the test again in the spring of my junior year, but I ended up doing ok the first time round. I never took it again since I figured if I could get away with getting into a good school without going through all the stress of studying for the MCATs, then why not?

yeah, why not?

but why ask the question on the forum? If you do good then great,ifnot then it happens. There is nothing we can tell you.
If don't want to study then don't. And congrats on being a good test taker.

30 is great. but not studying doesn't pay off for all. A buddy of mine took it cold and got a 21.

personally, I don't think it's a gamble worth taking...

Not a good idea to take it cold, even if you knew you could take it over? For me it was just a way to evaluate myself and see where I stood. I guess the real questions I wanted to ask is:
How much do people usually prepare for the MCAT if they are fresh out of school
and...
my own personal musing is....hmmm....I wonder if I should take a Kaplan and try the MCAT again?

I guess I won't know the answer to #2 until I see if I get accepted anywhere!

as for Mr H's flamers: what pissed you off so much about my question? A little sensitive, aren't we?

I had a rough day, had to take it out on somebody.

Sorry about that.

awwwww! forgiven! and btw, I lit a bic for you in other places...forgive me?

nothing gets me going faster than

RIGHTEOUS INDIGNATION

I really hate that.:p

Members don't see this ad :)
Me, the first time I took it, I studied all summer. I got a 25.

Second time I did it, this past April, I studied much much less (mostly because it was during the semester) and I got a 30.

:clap:

Originally posted by einey
Sensitive? No Jealous? Not really . It's dificult to be jealous over someone who hasn't proven they know the material. You have only demonstrated you can take a test. What I'm concerned with is the lack of good judgement and poor critical thinking on the part of people who are going to be doctors. If you show this level of ineffective judgement I really wouldn't want you treating patients.

I'm a little confused by your post, einey. Tell me exactly how I showed "innefective judgement" by taking the MCAT fresh out of school and not studying prior to the MCAT.
AND, btw, since I didn't cram for the test and I got a thirty-I kind of think that shows mastery of the material I learned in my undergraduate studying.
I really hit a raw nerve with this thread-kind of like bitting on tin-foil, huh?

lets see what that ascerbic wit, scienceriot, has to say when he wakes up this morning.

I"m not accusing anyone in particular of lying, but the BS flag has to be raised with regard to this subject and previous "no-study, pulled a 36" MCATers. I've read several threads in the past where people would jump in and state how they didn't study, or the test is really easy, or other BS along those lines. The average score on each section is a freakin' 8!!! With thousands of people studying their ass off, I have real trouble believing that there are so many people who can just show up to the test, take it cold, and come out one or two standard deviations above the mean. If it's true, more power to you, but a vast majority of hard working premeds either don't want to hear it, or frankly don't believe it.

Because I was taking a heavy load this past winter, I never studied material for the MCAT. I did take a few practice tests on saturdays, but only to get a feel for the questions. I never reviewed what I missed, etc. I took the MCAT, thought I did crappy, and was pleasantly surprised to get a 30 (12,9,9 R).

So did I study? No. Did I prepare? Yes, although somewhat marginally. The biggest thing for me was taking classes directly before the MCAT (organic chemistry, physiology, etc.), and the practice tests were a huge help.

Because so many of us face limited amounts of time and money, I think it's important use wisdom in your MCAT prep. If I had to do it all over again, I would have made the time to review the physics (I still haven't taken the classes :) ), and spent the time on a few more practice tests. The MCAT seems sort of like a game. If you know how to play, you'll be a lot better off.

Yeah, I am not in the "36" category either. I took all the requirements minus orgo II and orgo lab (which are not significantly on the test). I put a lot of time into study for the intro science classes and they were still fresh in my mind. So in that way, everyone studies for the MCATs when taking their science classes. I just did not take a review class or buy their books to take a million practice tests. I got out of paying what, $900 for a review class. If I thought I needed to retake it to get into schools, I would have.
It is not bad judgement. I thought I could do fairly well and wanted to get the experience of taking the test. It is amazing how you are questioning mine and the other people's judgement and capabilities as a doctor because you had to study more for one test. Grow up. The person who started this thread was not bragging. It was just a question that others responded to.

I didn't study for the MCAT and I scored a 48T. I petitioned aamc for the extra 3 points because of my genius.

Einey, Mike59 - Ok, it's true that the MCAT is a critical thinking test and that people who take standardized tests well do better than those who don't. But you also can't get a 30 unless you know a thing or two about science - it's not just a matter of "taking tests well." Some people retain information very well - they understand the material in science classes the first time through and a lot of it never leaves. Also, if you take the MCAT while you're taking a particular class (like physics), then you'll certainly do almost as well on the section than if you studied.

It's not a superhuman power or BS to do well without studying. Some people study everyday for 6 months and get a 29, and others take a practice test or two every Saturday and get a 35. It's just the way it is - sorry! Don't get all sassy with people just because they have a talent for science and standardized tests.

I have no earthly idea how some of you can score a 30 without studying for the mcat at all...but props to you. Know that you are very lucky and that there are some people who have studied everyday all summer and are still scoring under a 30.

Anyone can come on here and say they "scored a 30 without studying", but how many actually do is a different story.

Originally posted by unregistered
lets see what that ascerbic wit, scienceriot, has to say when he wakes up this morning.
Forgive my limited vocab, but what exactly does ascerbic mean?

Originally posted by Candide

Forgive my limited vocab, but what exactly does ascerbic mean?

I swear, I really did make a 30 on my MCAT, I just can't spell worth a darn.
Acerbic wit is not the kind that makes you go "teee heee hee":laugh:
Acerbic wit is more the kind that deep down inside might make you whisper "was that harsh? or not?" :confused:

i took the mcat freshman year of college as a placement exam for an elite program. scored 43-45T. this was before any background in the sciences. i just used my superior intellect to reason out answers and got lucky on a few questions. it's too bad that i have a 2 inch penis.

That wonderful sarcasm.

Originally posted by Street Philosopher
i took the mcat freshman year of college as a placement exam for an elite program. scored 43-45T. this was before any background in the sciences. i just used my superior intellect to reason out answers and got lucky on a few questions. it's too bad that i have a 2 inch penis.

:laugh: :laugh:

Originally posted by lady bug
I have no earthly idea how some of you can score a 30 without studying for the mcat at all...but props to you. Know that you are very lucky and that there are some people who have studied everyday all summer and are still scoring under a 30.

:rolleyes:

kaos, why are you rolling your eyes? I though lady bug's comment was sincere.

Originally posted by Mike59
I"m not accusing anyone in particular of lying, but the BS flag has to be raised with regard to this subject and previous "no-study, pulled a 36" MCATers. I've read several threads in the past where people would jump in and state how they didn't study, or the test is really easy, or other BS along those lines. The average score on each section is a freakin' 8!!! With thousands of people studying their ass off, I have real trouble believing that there are so many people who can just show up to the test, take it cold, and come out one or two standard deviations above the mean. If it's true, more power to you, but a vast majority of hard working premeds either don't want to hear it, or frankly don't believe it.

I'm pretty sure this is directed at me. I have said before that I got a 36 (11VR, 14PS, 11BS, R) without any studying. I understand why someone would say that the BS flag has to be raised. Perhaps some explanation is required.

I was a Bio major and a chem minor. I took the MCAT in August between junior and senior year. But by the time I took the MCAT, I had taken a year of bio, gen chem, o-chem, 2 quarters of physics, and 6 upper division bio and 1 upper division chem classes. I am lucky in that I usually do well on standardized tests. I did not consider it to be that big of a risk.

Look, I don't think that this approach is for everyone. I just think that I was confident and relaxed and those two things, confidence and relaxation, served me well.

Originally posted by Diogenes

I'm pretty sure this is directed at me. I have said before that I got a 36 (11VR, 14PS, 11BS, R) without any studying. I understand why someone would say that the BS flag has to be raised. Perhaps some explanation is required.

I was a Bio major and a chem minor. I took the MCAT in August between junior and senior year. But by the time I took the MCAT, I had taken a year of bio, gen chem, o-chem, 2 quarters of physics, and 6 upper division bio and 1 upper division chem classes. I am lucky in that I usually do well on standardized tests. I did not consider it to be that big of a risk.

Look, I don't think that this approach is for everyone. I just think that I was confident and relaxed and those two things, confidence and relaxation, served me well.

This is why, Lavndrrose. Thanks, Diogenes, this would have been my answer too. Some of us work this way, and others can't do it. Luck has nothing to do with it.

Well I studied for the MCAT and barely made a 30.....:(

Wish I had some of the "skillz" that those didn't study (but scored well) have.

Originally posted by BushBaby
Well I studied for the MCAT and barely made a 30.....:(

Wish I had some of the "skillz" that those didn't study (but scored well) have.

I think that perhaps one ought to differentiate between studying for the MCAT and studying at some point in college. Everyone takes gen chem, o-chem, bio, physics, calc, etc. The more you study and/or the better you are able to retain what you study, the less you have to "study for the MCAT." Personally my retention is pretty good, so I didn't prepare for the MCAT in particular. But it isn't like anyone on this board is claiming to have magically known all of this material without ever cracking a textbook of any kind in their life.

What do you mean by "did not study"?

You did:
a) lots of practice questions, but studied no material.
b) You didn't really do much practice questions (a few) and studied no material.
c) You just woke up and went to the test center.
d) did one of the above AND took no prep course?

By study, I did practice questions, studied material and took a prep course.

Originally posted by BushBaby
What do you mean by "did not study"?

You did:
a) lots of practice questions, but studied no material.
b) You didn't really do much practice questions (a few) and studied no material.
c) You just woke up and went to the test center.
d) did one of the above AND took no prep course?

By study, I did practice questions, studied material and took a prep course.

I meant no prep course, no practice questions, did not review any subject material. The only thing I did was get the thinnest prep book I could find in Barnes and Noble and read throught the part that describes the test format (i.e. there are 4 sections, they cover these subjects, there are passsages and stand-alone questions, you'll have this much time for each section and you get these breaks, etc.).

I meant no prep course, no practice questions, did not review any subject material. The only thing I did was get the thinnest prep book I could find in Barnes and Noble and read throught the part that describes the test format (i.e. there are 4 sections, they cover these subjects, there are passsages and stand-alone questions, you'll have this much time for each section and you get these breaks, etc.).

That's all you did???...............agahahahahhaah I HATE YOU...I HATE YOU +pissed+ :mad:

(lol...I really don't, I'm just jealous :laugh:)

I think that perhaps one ought to differentiate between studying for the MCAT and studying at some point in college. Everyone takes gen chem, o-chem, bio, physics, calc, etc. The more you study and/or the better you are able to retain what you study, the less you have to "study for the MCAT." Personally my retention is pretty good, so I didn't prepare for the MCAT in particular. But it isn't like anyone on this board is claiming to have magically known all of this material without ever cracking a textbook of any kind in their life.

Exactly, Diogenes. We all have studied the material before in one way or another.
From what I understand, Princeton Review and Kaplan have people who have not even taken the science classes mentioned above that are able to virtually ace the test (or any standardized test). They help to design the curriculum that the review classes use to teach pre-meds. Now that is a good gift.