mountainman123

10+ Year Member
Jul 18, 2006
Status
Medical Student
I was wondering if anyone has used Webprep including the lectures and books to study and how they did, or how well it prepared you. I have purchased this program because our class got a smoking deal on it and I don't know if I even want to use it now. I have heard some horror stories about Kaplan and am now concerned whether or not to spend the 80+ hours listening to the lectures on there and reading the stack of books they sent me. What are your experiences/thoughts? Thanks in advance....

OP
M

mountainman123

10+ Year Member
Jul 18, 2006
Status
Medical Student
OK, seeing as how no one is answering my question let me rephrase it.... Has anyone used any of the Kaplan prep courses, not talking about Qbank. Thanks!

manta

queen of yogurt
15+ Year Member
Apr 6, 2003
the gumdrop house on lollipop lane
Status
Non-Student
definitely listen to the behavioral science lectures. i wasn't a fan of the books, but i knew a couple of people who liked them.

so, i'm really not sure how well they prepared me, because i didn't get through most of it. those behavioral science lectures, however, was basically all i did for that subject, and had no problems with it on exam day.

About the Ads

babyface

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 25, 2002
California
Visit site
Status
UNM2009 said:
I was wondering if anyone has used Webprep including the lectures and books to study and how they did, or how well it prepared you. I have purchased this program because our class got a smoking deal on it and I don't know if I even want to use it now. I have heard some horror stories about Kaplan and am now concerned whether or not to spend the 80+ hours listening to the lectures on there and reading the stack of books they sent me. What are your experiences/thoughts? Thanks in advance....
Honestly, I think WebPrep is great at highlighting what's "important" and what's not, it helped me focus my study quite a bit. It's not great at every topic, I think the micro and path can use some improvements, it's dead on in terms of yields for pharm, physio, immuno, and anatomy.

So much on how you oughta study depends on your personal preference. I knew that I am an audio-type of learner that needed structure. And I also supplemented Webprep with other review books like BRS path, BRS physio, First Aid, and HY. But Webprep definitely has some values...helped me get a 240+, so I can't complain. Good luck

Magunda

10+ Year Member
Aug 9, 2006
Status
babyface said:
Honestly, I think WebPrep is great at highlighting what's "important" and what's not, it helped me focus my study quite a bit. It's not great at every topic, I think the micro and path can use some improvements, it's dead on in terms of yields for pharm, physio, immuno, and anatomy.
LEt me get it straight...pharm, physio, immuno and anatomy are worth the time listening or not?

MDmiracle

Mmmmm Prozac!!!
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I used the Webprep, Q bank, and Clinical Vignettes. I actually like the Micro and Path. Immuno was one of the best. I didn't like the behavioral sciences. I used the webprep as my 1st run through the material and had another book for each of the major subjects.

I listened to almost all of the lectures all 933 of them, I thought some were better than others and some dragged on and on. I think it is very important to realize that the way certain subjects are presented will work while others will not. You need to be willing to abandon a particular lecture or whoel subject if it is not working for you. ANd finally use your Qbank to drive what subjects you work on. I.e find your week subject and system, GI pathology, and then use the books to stduy and brush up on that area.

Take this for what it is worth,
I scored a 245 so I think it worked well for me. Good luck!!

Long Dong

My middle name is Duc.
10+ Year Member
Aug 8, 2004
The Best Coast
Status
Attending Physician
I used the MP3 of webprep and listened to it while I was working out. The pharm was great since pharm at my school was kind of lacking with our new curriculum. Yeah it helped me squeeze out a few extra points, but I would listen to goljan path a few times first, because for the time commitment goljan was more bang for your buck.

I've heard you can get webprep on mp3 from ebay, or some people on this board might be able to sell it to you if you post a message that you would like a pm from those who would be willing to sell it to you. Or you can go to this site

http://www.usmlestep.com/webprep2005.htm

I did get some step 2 and 3 stuff from this site and converted them to mp3 to listen to at the gym. It's just scary sending money western union to some guy in another country. I was worried I might never get the stuff, but it did come as promised. Hope that helps all the people who have been PMing me.

gschl1234

15+ Year Member
Aug 8, 2003
Status
Attending Physician
UNM2009 said:
Kaplan had LivePrep at my school so I attended:
Biochem (excellent lectures)
Physio (excellent lectures)
Pharm (only attended some, not my favorite subject, found lectures quite dry)
Pathology (excellent lectures)

I skipped: Immuno and Microbiology (attended 1 hour, horrible substitute lecturer)

I used the online lectures to study for my weakest sections:
Anatomy
Embryology
Behavior Science (Ethics, Biostatistics only)
Physiology (renal only)

I was pretty impressed with the lectures, but their books on their own aren't great. Other than that, I did about 95% of QBank and 40% of IVBank. Almost all of Robbins Review MQC book (best resource). Ended up getting 230+ after 7 weeks of 8-14h/day studying, no days off. Took NBME form 1 3 weeks into studying and started off just under 210. If I were to do it over again, I would have budgeted IVBank into my regular studying better and would have completed it. Overall, I would say that a lot of your work has already been completed in your first 2 years.

ally1

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 25, 2005
Status
Pre-Medical
My webprep is just audio, no video. is that the way its supposed to be? anyone know how long th micro/innate lectures take to get through

ally1

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 25, 2005
Status
Pre-Medical
did you guys use homestudy at all? was it equivalent to webprep audio lecture and lecture notes?

thanks for the help!

Terpskins99

Fear... The Stig
10+ Year Member
Mar 8, 2005
Status
Resident [Any Field]
My webprep is just audio, no video. is that the way its supposed to be? anyone know how long th micro/innate lectures take to get through
Yes, its just audio (well, it should be flash with a powerpoint-like presentation feel to it).

The vast majority of lectures are chopped up into approximately 8-10 minute segments. Some are longer (I think the longest was 25 minutes), and some are quite short (3-4 minutes). You tailor them to your needs, basically.

I didn't do all of them (I mostly used the dvd's), but I'd say it would take about a week to get through all of the micro lectures. But again, you don't need to go through all of them... just the ones you want to.

As for anatomy... I listened to the brachial plexus and sacral plexus lectures via webprep and liked it. Heheh, I forgot to bring my kaplan book to the computer lab that day and had to write it all out on paper... afterwards, I liked the notes so much that I actually took them with me on the day I took boards. :D

ally1

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 25, 2005
Status
Pre-Medical
yeah, when i read through the lecture notes, I understand what they are saying since the lecture notes do a good job of explaining. but at the start of the lecture notes it says you have to listen to audio also because the lecture notes are not enough, so that is why I was thinking it may be too tedious. I dont know if its better just to do home study in that case

About the Ads