Did/Does Your Family Make You Feel You Can't Do This

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mcneile

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I am the first in my family to go to college, and I am working on my bachelor's with the goal of applying to medical school. When I discuss my goals and my interest in becoming a doctor with my family they are not very supportive. I get the feeling that they don't think that I am capable, and it gets frustrating not having any support. Especially, on those days when you just need an extra boost. If anyone has been in this similar situation, and how you kept positive through this long journey. I would really appreciate your words! Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

I went through this with my parents. They told me to stay in business-side of things if I wanted to become a doctor. The answer was always, just do hospital administration. Eventually once my parents saw my determination they backed down. I think some people don't realize how long the road really is and how easily discouraged we get sometimes. I've had to put my medical school dreams on hold for my husband but that was my choice for his career at the moment. My parents have figured out I'm going to do what I want to do, damn the consequences. Its my life and I have to live it as I see fit. Maybe they don't realize how much you know about the process and what you want to accomplish. Educating them really is what brought my parents around (they didn't even know what a DO was).

My parents were fairly supportive of my decision to go into medicine (though I'm not in it yet, I'll be applying next spring), however they did balk when I said I wanted to do military medicine.

My mom's warming up to it (two of her best friends from college went into the Air Force), though my dad's still a little iffy about it.

Members don't see this ad :)
My mom was especially un supportive of me when I told her my doctor dreams. She had this preconcieved notion of the qualities good doctors have and what it means to work in medicine. The more I talked to her about it though, the more she came around.

It was really annoying at first, so I mixed equal parts talkiing to her about it and ignoring her entirely!

I keep getting from my fiance's family that they don't understand why I am going to all these years of school when he can support me. My future mother-in-law also made a crack one time that she does't understand, because I am going to be a stay-at-home mom when I have kids. I laughed, becuase that is the furthest thing from what I want. I guess it is coming from the fact that none of them went to school and they where stay-at-home moms.
To add insult to injury, my mother also doesn't approve of the career path I am taking. But after much thinking I have determined that it is because I am doing it without the help of her and that all goes back to my mother and I's very awkard relationship.

No one can really understand how much heart and effort you are putting into this but you. No one knows the sacrifices. Very, very few people are willing to make the effort or sacrifices. I can image that your ambition would be difficult to explain, especially since it's such a vaunted one in our society.

I find that when I strive to do things that are out-of-the ordinary or are considered "difficult", it annoys some of my friends and family since my efforts expose to them how little they are doing with their own lives. They begin to offer their negative thoughts, disguised as words of wisdom "Well, you know med school costs a lot and you won't have a life." "Wouldn't you rather relax and enjoy your life and not worry about working all the time?" "Just try to be happy with your life the way it is since it all goes by so fast". "You know, doctors are snobby j*rks, the nurses are the ones who really do the work".

You can't let the negativity slow you down. You shouldn't waste your time over it. Keep at your goal, take care of yourself and surround yourself with supportive people or tasks.

Gather, round, it's a long tale, if you are interested.

My father is a PhD in Physics. My mother is an RN. My sister is a board-certified EM doc, married to an eye surgeon.

After conquering a paralyzing phobia of flying thorough a great class at Kaiser Hospital in Vallejo, CA about 5 years ago, I was asked by the doctor who created the program to co-facilitate the class. It's called Phobease.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/chronicle/archive/2001/12/30/CM99668.DTL

A reporter from the SF Chronicle came to do a story on this class that has been in session for 18 years. The class averages about 70 people per ten-week class at $100 a class. Not bad, considering it's a two hour class for ten weeks. That's 5 bucks an hour. You can't even learn to play guitar for that amount of money.

I'm the one in the Catholic School Girl costume. That day we were asked to dress up as something that was embarrassing and talk to the class about why it was embarrassing for us.

For the first hour of each class, I lead the small group of people with social anxiety. After a year of co-facilitating the adult class and the children's class, I became certified to teach this class on my own. Mind you, this is NOT therapy and does not claim to be. It is simply a class that teaches CBT techniques and desensitization hierarchy techniques to those that are looking to conquer their phobias.

I became passionate about psychology.

Everyone in my family thought I was nuts. At first, my immediate family equated psychology to voodoo or some such nonsense. They did not understand or recognize psychology as a science.

I had dozens of conversations with them as I took the prereq classes to get into a PsyD program. I did not have a BS in psychology, as my conquering fear came almost 6 years after graduation from college with an unrelated degree.

I patiently explained the difference between social work/psychology/MSW/LCSW/PsyD/Phd in Clinical Psych/PhD in Psych to my family over and over.. There can be a lot of overlap, so it was a learning experience for all of us.

After I had taken about 12 prereq classes in psych at an accredited commuter college, Northeastern in Chicago, I applied to several schools in northern CA, where the weather agreed with me. I ended up choosing an Argosy campus, not knowing that almost everyone in the field considers Argosy to be a diploma mill.

I excelled in my classes, but got into a serious car accident two days into finals for the first semester. I made it through finals and got all As. But I was physically and emotionally unable to continue at that time. I needed to go home to where my parents were to heal, physically and emotionally. I exhibited symptoms of PTSD from the accident.

In the time since then, I found SDN and learned about the poor reputation of Argosy programs. Very few fourth years receive APA accredited internships in their fourth years at Argosy campuses.

On SDN, those in their fields told me that there was very little respect for those who attended Argosy, a school that had a campus in every major city.

What a terrible wake up call. I knew that I needed to prepare much more rigorously for a PsyD program at a university.

I am now preparing for the GRE. I'm so glad I googled "Psyd forum" and found this great resource.

Argosy was easy to get into. Looking at more reputable schools, I know I must gain experience in research and volunteer experience. I must take this time to get such experience if I hope to get into a reputable school.

It is so hard to take time off and gain experience instead of going back to an Argosy campus. I know that I need an APA accredited internship, which an education at Argosy rarely provides the opportunity for.

I envy those who knew years ago what they wanted to do as a career as an undergrad and had the resources to choose a competitive and respected program.

After dozens of conversations, my whole family understands the education that I am trying to pursue.

Don't give up. Unbiased information about schools can be hard to come by. I have bought all the appropriate books. Do your research and have data to present to your family.

If they ultimately will not understand and support you, it is okay. They may never understand. It can be irrelevant if you decide that your opinion and knowledge trumps their fears and misconceptions.

You know whats right for you more than anyone else.

"Maddie"

My family is divided in their opinion. Some keep asking me why I would want to be a doctor if I could be a chemical engineer like one of my cousins (math and physics are big in my family). My mom is worried that I wouldn't have kids. But my dad has been really supportive b/c even if he doesn't understand why I want to do this or what is involved, he is just happy that I have something I passionately want to do and I am slowly but surely getting there.
Hang in there, mcneile.

I'm in the same boat as you. My grandmother (who raised me and got her GED and LPN at 50) and father (who dropped out of high school to work at a grocery store and has not been in my life) actually resent the fact that I am furthering my education and making something out of myself. So alot of us know what you are going through, hang in there, and you will be proud to have made it through. :oops:

The source of best unconditional support is GOD.
I don't know for what reason your family is not showing the support, but this is a temporary phase and would end soon.

If you are a spiritual person, you should try praying and channelize your energies with a positive force within you.

you will surely reach your goal. be determined, and focussed, and God will show you the way to your destiny

I got a lot flack for choosing to be an MD/PhD. Most people believed I was competent but thought I was throwing away my family and social life. You need to try and surround yourself by the most supportive people possible and ignore the naysayers, or turn it into motivation to prove them wrong.

Most people that were very negative about my career choices have slowly come around as they have gotten to me better and watched me through some of this training. People re uneducated and scared of something new. A little patience goes a long way.

Keep your head up.

I come from a culture where family (and extended family) is generally more involved in life planning than I've seen here in the US--the culture is more communal, less individualistic. I had to put some distance between myself and my family b/c they didn't agree with my decision to go to school at all. Things are a lot better now, but it can be difficult if your family doesn't support you. The most important thing is to believe in yourself, because there will be times when you are going to be your only cheerleader.

I still get disapproving tones every now and then, so I've learned not to tell anyone about my goals. I'm currently a stay-at-home mom, and I get tired of hearing "why do you want to go to med school? What about your kids?" My kids are all either in school or ready to start, so the little ones are just as ready for me to start as I am. Sometimes I have to tell myself that they (mostly other stay-at-homes) secretly wish that they could go after their goals, too. I hate to dis other women, but sometimes I wish that we could all be supportive of each other no matter what our choices are (barring anything illegal or immoral, of course).

What helps me is that I'm incredibly stubborn, and the more I hear "you can't" or "you shouldn't", the more I say, "just watch me." Plus, I just tell myself that they don't know what I can do or what I'm willing to go through for this. Or how unhappy I'd be if I didn't go for it. I do the "positive visualization" (AKA daydreaming) whenever I get discouraged, and I agree with mededu that faith in God helps a lot. Good luck, OP, and if you want it bad enough you'll find a way to make it work out for you.

Members don't see this ad :)
ya know what? if anybody needs some support going through or before medical school, just PM me ill support you to your goal!!!:D:D:D:D

I dunno if my family will be supportive or not so I am scared to tell them. Some would probably say go for it, some would laugh at me. I don't plan on telling them unless I actually get into med school. They know I want a career in a health care field, but that's it.

When I was younger, my mom (who I love, but have problems with to this day) would ridicule pretty much any career path I expressed in. She's a very critical woman in general, and nothing I wanted in any arena of life, from careers to clothing choices, was the "right thing" for me. It's made me pretty paranoid to ever express wants or desires, but the good thing is it doesn't actually stop me from achieving what I want to achieve, and it certainly won't stop me from trying to get into med school...I just keep quiet about it. :luck:

FamilyDoc, you are so sweet! :)

Mcneile,
I can empathize with what you are going to. I grew up in a very rural town and family with a lower middle class family with very little understanding of the medical profession. The little they did know was from my Aunt who is an NP who believes doctors are heartless, selfish, workaholics. When I initially mentioned I wanted to go to medical school I could tell they thought I was a bit crazy. (I probably was given my GPA, but they didn't know this). Even though they were superficially supportive, I could tell that they had doubts that I would make it, and that I would be a good doctor. I also had a close friend tell me that patients would be less likely to see me because I am a woman and they would think that I only work part-time. FYI I am no longer friends with this person.

Know that when you get into med school the challenges of being from a family with lower middle class income will continue. The fact of the matter is that Medicine is a culture, a culture of upper-middle class intellectuals. There are many aspects of this culture that are great and in many ways I have embraced it, but there is no doubt that when I entered medical school I felt like a foreigner. Chances are you will too if you didn't grow up with a tutors, private school, instrument lessons, father who is a big time MD. Now that I made it through med school with flying colors (much to the shock of my parents) they have accepted that I can actually do this medicine thing. And even though I know my mother would prefer I become a teacher or nurse, and my father, an artist, I think part of them is really proud of me.

McNeile, part of your family's hesitation for supporting you may have to do with the fact that they don't want to lose you. Even though they want the best for you, part of them may worry that if you become a doctor you will not be able to relate to each other anymore, or even worse, you may look down on them for being relatively uneducated and making less $. In med school we learned about Cochlear Transplants (inner ear transplants for the deaf which are most successful if implanted during early childhood) and how many deaf parents refuse to allow their children to have these. Why? Many reasons, but to name a few, they take pride in their deaf culture and they don't want their children to see them as defective and be alienated from them. My world views have been always been different from my parents, but being immersed in the culture of medicine and accepting more an more, this culture as my own, has definitely widened the schizm. My parents are I are still close but our world views and appreciation for research, intellectualism, education, finances etc. are definitely different.

So, know that there are many challenges, but if medicine is really what you want then nothing is stopping you, study hard, plan well and you will get in. My advice would be to let your parents know how important their support is to you and reassure them that you will always love and respect them no matter what happens.

Last edited:
ya know what? if anybody needs some support going through or before medical school, just PM me ill support you to your goal!!!:D:D:D:D

:thumbup:

well if they are that un-supportive then just remember your degree(s) will mean so much more to you and you will officially get to shove it in their faces all the time every time :smuggrin:

"Conquering any difficulty always gives one a secret joy, for it means pushing back a boundary-line and adding to one's liberty."
~Henri Frederic Amiel~

My family never discouraged me on this. They were happy with my decision although I had never been a very good student and there was probably plenty of reasons why I couldn't have made it. It's sad some families aren't supportive. It's a very good decision you made and they should be grateful that they have a daughter who made such a good career choice.

My family really doesn't care what we do as long as we make the big money.

think of the look on their faces when you graduate and rub it in their faces.

that's strong motivation right there. :thumbup:

My mother (who is a RN) and my step-father (who is a doctor) were really supportive. I always wanted to be a doctor, but after getting married and having kids I didn't think I could do it. They are the ones who told me I could. However, both my grandmothers, my father, and my aunt told me I could not do it because I was a mother. It made me so angry! Now that I just applied to medical school, about to be a senior chemistry major with a 4.0, they are really proud of me and tell everyone they know. My mother always told me they doubted me because they were never able to live their dreams theirselves so they doubted that I could. (A little jealousy maybe that they didn't go for their dreams? I don't know)
Anyway, point is people may doubt you now but when they see that you are serious and working your butt off to make it happen, they usually come around and if not, as long as you believe in yourself that's good enough.

My family has been pretty supportive of my decision...but then again, I've had to PROVE in the past that I am capable of attaining my goals...It's funny because it't the men who are the least supportive. When I had my son after my junior year of college, my intention was to finish school and continue my path. My father and I had a falling out over this because he was so convinced that I wasn't going back to school. What it ultimately came down to was he didn't know me very well...but I guess it makes sense because he was in and out of my life. But his bro, my uncle was skeptical as well. My aunt and my mom were all for it and did everything within their power to help, even if it meant keeping my son for a week while I had finals.

Another thing I noticed, I am entering dental school this coming fall after having worked as a scientist for a private company. I was the youngest in the department and I noticed a big difference in response from my male superiors vs my female superiors. The overwhelming response from the female Ph.Ds was that they were proud of me. They arranged a dinner and of course only the women showed up. Its funny because the words of encouragement in my Congrats card are different between the sexes. Dr. RDK wrote, "Good luck in dental school. I don't envy you. The long hours, time away from family"... Instead of congrats Dr. PMH said, "If it doesn't work out, look at chemical engineering"...Thats the last thing I want to hear.lol...Just be HAPPY for me!!!

Some of our parents want us to be in a profession that we don't like. And maybe that is one of the reason of your parents, or maybe they just that very confident that you will are doing your best in that kind of field. They may not be very showy on their feelings about your course but for sure deep inside their are very proud of you.

Here is what you will do, Just made them proud and prepare to be one of the best person in medical uniforms. And always keep up the good work.:xf: Goodluck
:)