Did doing just a lot of questions help?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

larrywalkerdds

Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My new approach to studying for the DAT is to ignore reading and just focus on doing as many Kaplan questions as possible. I will only read when looking up answers or the concept behind an answer. I feel like reading the big fat Kaplan book is just a waste of time. Did this method work for anyone in here?
 
Dude, don't be a fool unless you have all the concepts in that book down cold. Listen to people like myself who have made 22+ on their DAT and I guarantee you that most of them will say to read and memorize that book. Yes, do a lot of problems but also memorize that book
 
Slain said:
Dude, don't be a fool unless you have all the concepts in that book down cold. Listen to people like myself who have made 22+ on their DAT and I guarantee you that most of them will say to read and memorize that book. Yes, do a lot of problems but also memorize that book

I conquer.

There are NO shortcuts. Memorize the book, and do boat loads of questions. Doing one or the other isnt going to cut it, unless your a super genius.
 
I believe the best method (at least for me) is to study all the materials very well up until the week before the DAT and during that week, I will mainly devote the time to do sample tests under actual testing regulations and conditions. If I have some weak areas after each sample tests, then I just went and review those sections again.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Unless you're extremely short on time, study the big book. Like Slain and Bickle said, memorize it. Doing a ton of problems will help, but it will also help to see the same information presented in a different way. You also might find things in the book that aren't be included in practice questions, and vice versa.
 
I have read the Kaplan book and then I have been taking subject tests on TopScore.

In my opinion the Topscore content is much harder than the Kaplan practice test in the book and it seems to be much more in depth.

Anybody else have this experience when comparing Kaplan to Topscore?
 
NCSMILES said:
I have read the Kaplan book and then I have been taking subject tests on TopScore.

In my opinion the Topscore content is much harder than the Kaplan practice test in the book and it seems to be much more in depth.

Anybody else have this experience when comparing Kaplan to Topscore?

I don't know about Kaplan in the Blue Book, but the Kaplan diagnostic, midterm and final in the Kaplan class is harder than TopScore, IMO.

To the OP: working Kaplan problem sets is very important, but this section just can't be done without a upfront memorization and understanding of the material. I think that's why everyone is telling you to read the Kaplan book.