did dr. rey start studying for his boards?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stephend7799

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey do any of you know if Dr rey from dr. 90210 start studying for his boards... was wondering if he did after that NYT article about him saying he wasnt board certified and all..

Members don't see this ad.

I'm gonna hedge my bets and say he is either online right now ordering his next set of sleeveless scrubs or practicin his Ka-ra-tey on his probably now pregnant wife :thumbup:

hahaha

I'm pretty sure he isn't going to study since he's got customers lining up to see him from now til next decade. Why study when you can bring in the dough?

Members don't see this ad :)
cdql said:
hahaha

Why study when you can bring in the dough?

i guess youre right. what was i thinking..

i havent seen him on the show lately thats why i thought he was hitting the library and studying for those written boards....

cdql said:
hahaha

I'm pretty sure he isn't going to study since he's got customers lining up to see him from now til next decade. Why study when you can bring in the dough?

Yeah, but likely his high profile clients are now asking him, "Hey, why aren't you board certified?" SOooooo, gotta get that cert to put by his Harvard diploma. Plastic surgery marketing is all about maintaining a aura of superiority to every single other doctor in the world. Kinda hard to do that when you don't have your board certification.

That's true. But most of his clients are probably enticed just by the TV show and his charisma.

The best advertisement a plastic surgeon can do is to show the before/after shots of his patients and the TV show does that for him already. I doubt a certification test would change the minds of most of his clients.

(Although it was certainly shocking, for me at least, to find out that this successful plastic surgeon wasn't even board certified yet!)

TheThroat said:
Yeah, but likely his high profile clients are now asking him, "Hey, why aren't you board certified?" SOooooo, gotta get that cert to put by his Harvard diploma. Plastic surgery marketing is all about maintaining a aura of superiority to every single other doctor in the world. Kinda hard to do that when you don't have your board certification.

Highly unlikely, ppl are stupid in general including us. Besides, he has pts lined up for more than the next nine months, the actual loss directly from that source is likely next to none. It may irk us doing it "the right way", but it has yet to affect him.
What exactly does board certification mean anyway? Just that someone took the time to study and forked over the money to be a part of the group, this is the professions fault IMHO, board certification isnt a valued asset unless your in an academic or legal situation.

board certification exhibits you are at least that dedicated to your field that you find it important to study and pass the test... it says nothing more..

Plastikos said:
Highly unlikely, ppl are stupid in general including us. Besides, he has pts lined up for more than the next nine months, the actual loss directly from that source is likely next to none. It may irk us doing it "the right way", but it has yet to affect him.
What exactly does board certification mean anyway? Just that someone took the time to study and forked over the money to be a part of the group, this is the professions fault IMHO, board certification isnt a valued asset unless your in an academic or legal situation.

I agree that people are pretty dumb when it comes to that sort of thing. I still think that, to keep his ego well-fed, he has to pass the boards. This is all to maintain his self-delusion that he is the plastic surgeon nonpareil. You're right that it likely does change his bottom line in the near future.

Actually, in plastics, where it all comes down to marketing, board certification is becoming a bigger thing to the descriminating client.

I think it's amazing that in the US you can still practice without being board certified. Here in Canada you have to pass a very difficult national exam before you are allowed to practice (I'm doing the written component next week and the orals are in June). If you fail (which 5-10% do - it's marked on a curve) then you are not allowed to practice and must spend the year doing an extra year of residence or fellowship.

TheThroat said:
I agree that people are pretty dumb when it comes to that sort of thing. I still think that, to keep his ego well-fed, he has to pass the boards. This is all to maintain his self-delusion that he is the plastic surgeon nonpareil. You're right that it likely does change his bottom line in the near future.

Actually, in plastics, where it all comes down to marketing, board certification is becoming a bigger thing to the descriminating client.

I hope your right about that, it would certainly make competing with Joe Blow Spa a little easier.