1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Did I apply to enough DO schools...?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by laurenem, Aug 11, 2006.

1. laurenem

2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    Hi guys, I just wanted to get your opinion... am I applying to enough DO schools? check out my mdapps (5 DO, 19 MD). I haven't completed any secondaries yet (aacomas mailed 8/5, LOR's sent long time ago), but plan on doing UMDNJ this weekend cuz its on their website. I feel like I'm kinda late on the secondaries and am starting to think I should apply to more schools. What do you think, am I being paranoid or should I be concerned? Thanks in advance :)

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Hardbody

Hardbody Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

IMHO, I think you applied to enough schools.

4. laurenem

2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    thanks, I was hoping for that answer :)
    this med school application stuff is just so random... I feel like you never know what could happen so I just want to play it safe.

5. CatsandCradles

CatsandCradles SDN Donor
    5+ Year Member

Other Health Professions Student
    I took a look at your mdapplicants link, I think you will be fine. :luck:

6. Vox Animo

Vox Animo Runs with Scissors
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    your fine, i only applied to three. You are stat worthy

7. dr.z

Physician 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I think you applied to enough places.

8. Scorcher31

Scorcher31 Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    You'll be fine. I had comparable stats, and I applied to UMDNJ-SOM, NYCOM, PCOM, UNECOM, and LECOM as well along with maybe 7 or so MD schools. I withdrew from LECOM (word of warning you need to have worked with an osteopathic physician and have them fill out a form for LECOM). I never heard from NYCOM, but got in at PCOM, UNECOM, and UMDNJ-SOM and one or two MD schools. I'm very happy with my choice.

9. laurenem

2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    thanks so much for the advice everyone

I saw that for LECOM and wondered what the deal was. will a recommendation be ok? I shadowed a DO who then wrote a letter. I work as an MA for an MD right now but there is a DO joining the practice in a few weeks so I suppose I could always have her fill out the form if needed... but that'll delay my app cuz she doesn't really know me yet. It's interesting that you chose DO over MD. I might actually end up doing that also. What was your reasoning?

10. scpod

Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Your DO doesn't actually HAVE to fill out the form. I think that's the best thing to do, but you can get by with just a letter on his/her letterhead. You also DON'T have to have shadowed the DO. All you need is a letter. That tells them that you have at least taken the time to meet a DO and they consider you to be worthy.

11. laurenem

2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    yeah I know that you don't have to shadow, but I decided that would be the easiest way of doing it. I got the letter months ago so I really hope lecom doesn't care too much that they're not getting the form filled out...

12. Monkey12

Monkey12 Monkey12
    7+ Year Member

Hey we have really similar stats! Good luck! I'm just trying to get a good list of DO schools as well, so far I'm thinking Des Moines, Midwestern, Michigan, and PCOM?