Did I just destroy my chances at decent academic IM programs with my clinical grades?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

1203xx

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
USMD
Step1/Step2 : 246/248
Ended up in 4th quartile of my class (1H, 4HP, 2P) - got a P on IM during 3rd year clerkships unfortunately, but got Honors with glowing evals on my IM sub-I (the evals from my sub-I are all put into my Dean's MSPE letter).

Besides that, the rest of my app is solid - teaching, volunteer, etc.

In terms of research, I've been very proactive in cardiology since M1 year - have about 3 pubs currently (2 more by the time I graduate M4), 8 abstracts, 4 poster/oral presentations, and 1 case report.

I'm just wondering if the 4th quartile clinical ranking just completely destroyed my chances of matching back home to CA programs like USC, UC Irvine, UC Davis, UCSD, Cedars-Sinai, UCLA etc etc.

I currently go to medical school in the Northeast and would love to stay in the NYC/Philly areas too, if CA isn't an option anymore.

I have no idea where I stand now as an applicant given my abysmal class ranking.
Can someone suggest what type of academic IM programs I should apply for?
I really wanted to be able to match into a solid academic program to have good chances to match fellowship, but I don't know if any decent ones will take me now given my red flag in 4th quartile grade.
What's frustrating is all my evals in all my M3 rotations are great, as is referenced on the MSPE letter, but somehow fell short repeatedly...

Please help!

Members don't see this ad.

USMD
Step1/Step2 : 246/248
Ended up in 4th quartile of my class (1H, 4HP, 2P) - got a P on IM during 3rd year clerkships unfortunately, but got Honors with glowing evals on my IM sub-I (the evals from my sub-I are all put into my Dean's MSPE letter).

Besides that, the rest of my app is solid - teaching, volunteer, etc.

In terms of research, I've been very proactive in cardiology since M1 year - have about 3 pubs currently (2 more by the time I graduate M4), 8 abstracts, 4 poster/oral presentations, and 1 case report.

I'm just wondering if the 4th quartile clinical ranking just completely destroyed my chances of matching back home to CA programs like USC, UC Irvine, UC Davis, UCSD, Cedars-Sinai, UCLA etc etc.

I currently go to medical school in the Northeast and would love to stay in the NYC/Philly areas too, if CA isn't an option anymore.

I have no idea where I stand now as an applicant given my abysmal class ranking.
Can someone suggest what type of academic IM programs I should apply for?
I really wanted to be able to match into a solid academic program to have good chances to match fellowship, but I don't know if any decent ones will take me now given my red flag in 4th quartile grade.
What's frustrating is all my evals in all my M3 rotations are great, as is referenced on the MSPE letter, but somehow fell short repeatedly...

Please help!
Don’t stress that much… apply to the programs you want as well as some safety programs and see what you get for interviews, go to them, and rank every program that you would rather be at vs soaping…ultimate goal is to have a residency.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.