Did I just ruin everything with step 2?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sms333

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just got my score Step 2 score back and I am shocked, saddened, confused, and to be honest feel like I just ruined everything I have ever worked for in my life in one day.

I got a 223. My practice scores were in the 240s. I am at a loss for words.

I was planning on applying diagnostic radiology and have an away scheduled.

Most A’s with a couple B’s preclinical. Passed Step 1 easily. Like 10-12 publications. Honored 3/6 rotations. Never any issues with shelves.

I don’t even know what to do right now. I had set up my M4 schedule for radiology and feel like I just pissed it away in one day.

Should I just give up and apply IM (would be my 2nd choice)? Dual apply? Take a leave?

Members don't see this ad.

Definitely don’t give up if you’re set on radiology. You can either dual apply with IM (not an uncommon move these days) but only do this if you’re sure you’re fine with being an IM/IM sub doc for the rest of your career, or apply with the understanding you may only match a prelim and have to reapply again the following year. Unfortunately rads is a lot more competitive than it was just a few years ago and they place a lot of emphasis on board scores, but the rest of your app is pretty good and it’s not out of the question either.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
From what I was told step 2 is still the single most important factor for radiology and they likely weight it heavier than other specialties given the difficult core and board exams in residency...I don't say that to be a jerk or scare you but just to set realistic expectations.

You do have very solid research which certainly gives you a boost but I'm not sure it's that important to radiology programs outside of the research powerhouses where your step 2 would get you screened anyway.

Unless you go to a top tier school I think it is unlikely you match radiology and you should work on preparing an IM app that will NOT make it look like you are applying to them as a back up as that will certainly be viewed as a negative (namely don't use rads letters for categorical IM).

It doesn't hurt to dual apply only if your IM app doesn't take a hit...if you strike out on rads and have a weak IM app that clearly shows you're using them as a back up you might be in a bad spot

Reactions: 1 users
This is where your connections can be critical. Does your school have a home DR program? If so, I would talk with your research mentors and with your home PD and have an honest conversation about your level of competitiveness. It is possible that you are sufficiently well-liked and productive in research that they would still be willing to potentially rank you highly, and hopefully they could give you some honest insight into your standing. If they tell you that your scores are a major problem for you matching to your home program, or are generally noncommittal... I think you have your answer, because if that is the response at the program that knows you best then you can imagine how you'll be perceived at programs where you're just a random applicant out of thousands.

Reactions: 2 users
Just wanted to say sorry this happened, it sounds like a really tough position to be in.. Try not to beat yourself up. As cliché as it is to say, it really is only one data point, proven by how well you've done so far otherwise.